Question : Safety issue for LCP ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cos

Bearcat
I would advise CAUTION!!! Some of the other older shooters need to chime in. I believe Super-Vel was extremely hot, the hottest ammo of its time. This was several years before there was a +P designation. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, Super-Vel really started the trend to hot rod ammo.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Cos":338yd15c said:
I would advise CAUTION!!! Some of the other older shooters need to chime in. I believe Super-Vel was extremely hot, the hottest ammo of its time. This was several years before there was a +P designation. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, Super-Vel really started the trend to hot rod ammo.
SuperVel liked a combination of lighter bullets and heavier powder charges. The 88 grain .380 was listed at 1065 fps, while a comtemporary standard .380 load claimed 95 grains at 955 fps.
SuperVel has been out of business for some time; the ammo was warmish and considered to be running at redline for its time.
I think I'd try to peddle it to a collector and get some other .380s; assuming that you can find some.
Moon

Saltcreek

Bearcat
mike7mm08":2yzqu0zw said:
As long as it is not listed as +p I would think they would be fine. If they are not labeled as + p they should be within SAAMI specs.

If I remember correctly, the use of the "+P" designation may not have been used yet in the SuperVel days, although SuperVel helped pioneer ammo that cause the +P designation by it's hotter loaded ammo. SO be aware that it may be +P loaded, but not so marked. Many newer shooters don't know that +P is a relatively new term in ammo history.

Also, while there is still the "legend" of the wonderful ammo by SuperVel, (which was new when I shot it) MANY newer loads meet or exceed it. While I would use it at the range, I would not carry 30+ year old ammo for protection if I had a choice of new ammo. Besides what is the life history of that old box of ammo, hot garage or car, laying in the sun?

oldgoat46

Bearcat
Well I don't know about the super vel but I had some feed problems with the cor bon hollow points. I consulted with the buffalo bore folks and they reccommended their item # 27A/20 which is a hard cast lead 100 gr FN round 1125 fps @ 267ft #muzzle energy. I have run 50 rounds through my LCP with no problem. I don't reccomend it for target practice as it hurts your hand but the 380 is anemic at best and you need all the advantage you can get.