Question on Vaquero value

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GKC

Blackhawk
I recently bought a Vaquero at a local gun shop. The dealer said it was new, and it certainly doesn't appear to have been fired. It had the box and all papers with it, but the grips were not original...they were Ajax pearlite. Based on the serial number, the gun was made in 2004 (serial # 58-534xx), so it is not a New Vaquero. It has a 3 7/8" barrel, case hardened blue finish, and is in new condition....no wear or evidence of ever being fired. I replaced the Ajax grips with some beautiful wood grips made by a member here, with Winchester .45 brass case heads inset into them. (I also had another set of grips made with my initials and the State of Texas logo, but those would not be sold with the gun, if indeed I do sell it.)

Your opinion?

well, I'd like to think what the dealer told you is 'true" see no reason not to.....lots of stuff sitting on dealer shelves, from distributors, factory "clean ups" ,and on and on......sounds like a nice gun really, need to see some pictures as they say.......by the way, Ajax is no longer in business,not sure if anyone is going to continue their line or not........

EDK

Single-Sixer
I usually price guns on gunbroker or auctionsarms. What someone WILL PAY versus what someone WANTS.

Caliber on these items makes a difference...you see more of the short 45s than the short 357s on the market.

I don't know the factory code, but did one variation have birdshead grips?

GKC

Blackhawk
rugerguy":1ucdqvei said:
well, I'd like to think what the dealer told you is 'true" see no reason not to.....lots of stuff sitting on dealer shelves, from distributors, factory "clean ups" ,and on and on......sounds like a nice gun really, need to see some pictures as they say.......by the way, Ajax is no longer in business,not sure if anyone is going to continue their line or not........

I really wondered about that, since it didn't have the stock Ruger grips...but the salesman (and this was a large gunstore, with lots of "staff") didn't know much if anything about it. I wanted it, regardless, so I bought it...since it didn't appear to have been fired anyway.

I sold the Ajax grips to another member here.

I'll try to post some pics asap.

Did I mention it was .45 Colt?

GKC

Blackhawk
Skalkaho Slim":1ecwwpg2 said:
So I take it that it does not have a birdshead frame?

Did Ruger make that short barrel model with the plowshare grips?

That is correct...it does NOT have the birdshead grip. It has the standard butt, or "plowshare" grip configuration.

Sounds like you have the Sheriff Model.
They came with several types of grips. Along with this type.
One is a 57-xxx and the other is a 58-xxx
164-1.jpg

Lots of shops put diffeent grips on a gun just to "make them different" ( but I would like to think, the original ones would be there ,someplace...now you say a "salesperson", they can only say what they are told, unoess they actually handle any trade-in , or buy, then they can say something they "know" but even then, the person selling/trading , comment the gun is "brand new" and folks "bite"....gotta see the gun to really to make a proper evaluation........like to think, ( hope) the shop is "straight up".....
yes, sounds like the sheriff model to us also, and maybe the shop pulled them neat, fancy white plastic grips with the logo for their own "personal" gun????? I would.... :roll:

GKC

Blackhawk
rugerguy":35nds9jp said:
Lots of shops put diffeent grips on a gun just to "make them different" ( but I would like to think, the original ones would be there ,someplace...now you say a "salesperson", they can only say what they are told, unoess they actually handle any trade-in , or buy, then they can say something they "know" but even then, the person selling/trading , comment the gun is "brand new" and folks "bite"....gotta see the gun to really to make a proper evaluation........like to think, ( hope) the shop is "straight up".....
yes, sounds like the sheriff model to us also, and maybe the shop pulled them neat, fancy white plastic grips with the logo for their own "personal" gun????? I would.... :roll:

I was skeptical, but as best I could tell, the gun had never been fired. I'm not an expert, but if it has been fired, it was extremely few times. All the paperwork was there, and everything looked new, or not handled before. I looked at it with a bore light when I got it home, and I couldn't see any evidence of it being fired...like I said, I am not an expert, but it looks like all the other new guns I have bought, in terms of condition.

I've gotta take some pics and post them.

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73,

Let me know if you ever want to sell that Sheriff model Vaquero. That is a great looking revolver you have got there!