Question on used Taurus's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Found a 38 special blue or black 2 in. ruber grips at the local gun shop for $139 +tax. Stainless 357 6in. wood grips $229. Worth buying or not.Prices seem low but,no nothing nothing about them.just sub par compared to Ruger.No clue on model numbers.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have an older model 669 .357 which is a S&W 586 clone. It's the first centerfire handgun I ever bought and is actually a great gun to this day. My avatar picture is me shooting a 44SS4 .44 mag (since sold and replaced with a 4" Redhawk).

I've also seen some real clunkers, including a model M94 .22 LR revolver that I briefly owned.

I think you have to take them on a gun by gun basis. If the lockup is still tight and it has no excessive end play or gap issues, either one would likely make a fine gun.

-- Sam

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks Sam.Just looked at them quickly.Gun shop is a good one & they assured me nothing wrong with either.Won't get back there for a week,so they may be gone.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Life time guarantee, I have a 38 spcl 5 shot in stainless (model 85 I think) and have no complaints. Nice solid little 38 although I don't shot it a lot and it's not rated for +P. I think it could handle +P in a defense mode but wouldn't give it any kind of a diet using +P. If you need a little 38 that sounds like a great price.

I did know a guy several years ago that had nothing but problems with a 6 inch 357. That's probably been close to 20 years though (yikes). He'd sent it back several times. If I remember correctly the cylinder kept coming loose from the crane. He is the only one I knew that had problems with a Taurus.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I have a friend with one. The cylinder is cracked and he cannot get the company to do anything about the problem. He has regulated it for snake shot only. You get what you pay for! TANSTAAFL best, greg

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
My buddy just bought a 38 spcl 2" 5 shot its a nice little shooter and he paid $250 for it I,d say at that price if you can,t get buy there soon if you want it trying calling, if they know you they just might hold it for you. Dusterman

Rob72

Bearcat
Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Basically the difference between a Ruger MkII and a Walther P22(comparing the taurus to a J frame or SP). I would spend $139 for a trunk gun/throw-down. Shoot 100 rounds, clean and do a close inspection, and carry it for a rainy day.

If you're thinking of taking an LFI or Rogers class with it, I wouldn't. :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
gregs45auto":2lwe4dp0 said:
I have a friend with one. The cylinder is cracked and he cannot get the company to do anything about the problem.

Don't take this the wrong way, Greg, but I think your friend is joshing you. I absolutely do not believe that Taurus refuses to repair his gun. Taurus may be a lot of things, but their warranty service has always been very decent. Try to get some pics of that gun if you can, I'd like to see it. :D

I truly mean no offense.

REV

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I have had nothing but good luck with Taurus, both new and used.

Maybe some of the others who have had problems are just unlucky people in their lives. Who knows?

;)

pisgah

Buckeye
revhigh":ccsx2g7f said:
gregs45auto":ccsx2g7f said:
I have a friend with one. The cylinder is cracked and he cannot get the company to do anything about the problem.

Don't take this the wrong way, Greg, but I think your friend is joshing you. I absolutely do not believe that Taurus refuses to repair his gun. Taurus may be a lot of things, but their warranty service has always been very decent. Try to get some pics of that gun if you can, I'd like to see it. :D

I truly mean no offense.

REV

Gotta agree with you, REV. Several years ago I bought one of their k-frame-size .44 Special revolvers --Model 440? Can't remember.

Anyway, I bought it used and shot the heck out of it. One day I was rapid-firing a string and my finger was faster than my head -- third shot was a "phfft", my finger was blazing along, and the fourth shot was a BBBAAANNNGGG, with magnum-like recoil. Oh-oh.

The barrel was bulged, a small split extended from the frame forward about 2 inches, and the action suddenly wasn't nice and smooth any more. Amazing what one stuck bullet will do.

I sent it to Taurus, explaining that the damage was entirely my fault and asking if the gun were worth repairing. No reply -- until 3 weeks later when the gun showed up back at home, completely rebuilt and refinished with an invoice that read "No Charge".

As no one at Taurus is related to me or owes me anything, I was suitably impressed at the service.

PS -- Anyone still shooting a revolver with a split cylinder, no matter what kind of loads he's using, is a moron.

96/44

Blackhawk
I also have nothing bad to say about Taurus, my model 607 .357 is as tight as the day I got it, after thousands of magnum loads. I learned to reload with that gun, so it has seen some "interesting" loads to be sure...

Redstick

Single-Sixer
pisgah":wz3kvfq8 said:
PS -- Anyone still shooting a revolver with a split cylinder, no matter what kind of loads he's using, is a moron.

THEY'RE OUT THERE!!! :roll:

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
I had a .41 mag tracker that is long gone. The action was gritty, the crown looked like it was reamed by hand, and the bore had chattering marks around the porting. I don't ever plan on buying another Taurus. With that being said, I think Taurus handguns are good for people who don't want to spend a lot, but want something that will go bang every time.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Thanks to all for the many replys.Seems like 50/50 on a go or not.Still not sure ,maybe if it is still there next week.

Latest posts