Question on powder burn rate in shorter barreled revolvers (357 mag)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldcrab

Bearcat
I am getting a 3" -barrel GP100, and have only reloaded for my 6"- barrel revolver in the past.

When reloading for the 3", should I stick to faster powder to maximize powder burns and velocity?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Crab

dannyd

Buckeye
On the chronograph not much difference and sometimes none at all. You may notice a little more muzzle flip but that's about all. Three inch is okay I have one with fix sights, but I like the six inch better.

Missed the advice; Shoot your GP's as much as possible. :)

oldcrab

Bearcat
Majority of powder I'm using in the 6" goes from Accurate #5 as the fastest powder for slower target loads, then Acc #9, 2400, and Enforcer for the full-house loads.

There might be some slight juggling of the highest velocity powders, but generally the powders that produce the highest velocities in long barrels are the same ones that produce the highest velocities in short barrels. Those minor differences can be seen in the short barrel data in the Speer reloading data. H110, W296, 2400, #9, and Power Pistol are the top five in velocity with Speer's 135gr Gold Dot HP. In a short barrel, the top five are #9, H110, 2400, Power Pistol, and W296. (Same powder charges in both regular and short barrel loads).

dannyd

Buckeye
Majority of powder I'm using in the 6" goes from Accurate #5 as the fastest powder for slower target loads, then Acc #9, 2400, and Enforcer for the full-house loads.
#5 is a good powder, but I just use a little 231/hp38 with a 158 swc in a 38 special case.

contender

Ruger Guru
I would test different loads & powders to see what EACH gun preferred. Accuracy above all else. (As long as you stay within the safe limits of each loading.) Maximizing powder burns & velocity may not be the best way to get accurate loads.

I am not sure any of that matters, just for the sake of maxing powder burn. But if you want to reduce a blinding muzzle blast from unburned powder leaving the barrel. Just load up 38 spls over 357s.

Performance probably wouldn't warrant different loading. Expect more muzzle flash from the 3". I'd suggest seeing how the AA#9 does in the shorter barrel. I liked the results using it in a 4 5/8" 44 mag.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Between a 3" and 6" I can't see any noticeable difference. Possibly even no measurable difference without high dollar equipment.

Pressure is a funny thing. Back in my silhouette days a friend was shooting an XP . I believe 7BR. It was winter. Every station he shot had what we called unburned powder on the snow. Perfect powder sticks, but they were primer green not black/grey. Assuming wasted powder he tried reducing his load. Any change directly affected accuracy. So, for whatever reason "wasted" powder was required.

Just load as you would and test for accuracy.

jgt

Blackhawk
I would load based on intended purpose. If the load is for use in a bedroom gun for things that go bump in the night, I would work up an accurate load using fast powders like red dot, 231, bullseye, or any number of like burning powders. The blindness from muzzle flash is very real in the dark and takes way too long to recover from at a critical time for self defense. Test the loads in the dark before deciding on it for that intended purpose.

oldcrab

Bearcat
You folks have given me several insights that I never would have stumbled-on without your suggestions.

Many thanks!!

Have a super weekend.

Crab

contender

Ruger Guru
I heard a wise saying long ago.

"A wise man listens to those with more experience than himself. And a fool ignores the lesson's learned by the wise men."

We offer polite advice to those who seek it. And once you study things a bit,,you will find the best path for YOU to take.

JCK

Single-Sixer
Acc11FS is supposedly the same as WC297 which is #296/H110 with a flash suppressant.
The Winchester 145gr SilverTip factory load has the flash suppressant powder and produces little more flash than a .38Spl w/148gr wadcutters.
Since I've got several boxes left over from when my agency issued it in mid '90's, it's what I use.
I get 1,375fps from a 4"bbl. Quite accurate too!
It'll do!