question on loading 45colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Planning on loading some 45colt rounds today , although I'm wanting to use cast lead all I could find were Hornady xtp in 300 gn, with unique. The only recipe I could find was for 6.8 gn, and a ruger only with 10 gn, not looking for a real hot load , just something good for deer, was thinking about starting with 7 gn, using wlp primers, shooting through my blackhawk 5 1/2" it is the two digit model, any thoughts

daveg.inkc

Hunter
You are on right track. Unique is a good powder choice. Start with 7 grs and go up. 8, 9 grs. Somewhere in that range you'll find a good group forming. I just loaded 12 grs Unique with a 255 Missouri Cast Bullet. This is for a 7.5" .45C Old Model.

BucolicBuffalo

Single-Sixer
Before loading up a bunch. I would load one dummy, perhaps a cylinder full, to check for length. You want to make sure those larger bullets will actually chamber. My .45 Colt New Vaquero had different depth chambers and would not accept Keith style wad cutters in all of them. That Hornady appears to have a forward wide band like a Keith Style.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Thanks I'll try the dummy round, just had my cylinder reamed by Dougguy, so they should be consistent. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Loaded and shot a cylinder full with 7 gn unique, very accurate, but felt a little weak, so I went up half a grain . Wasn't sure about those 300 , was hard to find load data, as my manuals don't list a 300 gn jacketed bullet, just put in an order from Oregon trail laser cast, for some 250 gn rnfp ,which is what I'm planning on loading exclusively if they shoot well. A shout out to Dougguy for a job well done with my cylinder throats , best groups with this revolver yet, thanks Doug, very happy.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Those XTP 300 gr. Bullets were ment to be fired at magnum velocity like in the
.454 Casull and won't expand reliably in the .45Colt unless they are driven at Ruger only levels. New reloaders are better served with the 250 grain bullet when loading for the .45 Colt. Stay safe!

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Thanks Mus408 , I will try that, my order is on its way, I must say that I thought Oregon Trail had great prices,compared to others, about half the price of Beartooth

sixshot

Buckeye
Unique & the 45 Colt go together great & 9 grs is my everyday load all summer. I have taken a few deer with that load but bumping it up makes for a better deer thumper. If you want to lean on it there are better powders out there so you won't get a pressure spike. Go with something slower if you want top end loads. I use a lot of 2400 if I need more speed & H110 with a mag primer for the very top end stuff with a full size Ruger.
Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets are very hard & I think most of them are bevel base, not the first choice for most revolver shooters. A softer bullet will serve you well in many cases, just my opinion. Check out Montana Bullet Works. Good luck, that Ruger 45 is a dandy, I've taken a lot of game with them, including 4 elk.

Dick

For 45 LC I've found 8.5 grains of Unique with a 250 grain bullet to be the most accurate for me. Which isn't far off of 9 grains. Maybe I'll try 9 grains the next go around and see.

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
I have been reloading for the 45LC since 1973. I use Hard Cast LRNFP 250gr Bullets 99% of the time in Old Ruger Blackhawks, Old Model Vaqueros, Lever Action Rifles, and Pump Action Rifles. I used Unique for many years. Then a friend gave me a 8lb container of Win 231. I have been using 7grs of Win 231 with 250gr LRNFP Bullets for the last 15+ years. I use this load for most everything I shoot with a 45LC. I have shot 3 or 4 Deer and a bunch Pigs with this reload. I have never really needed any Jacketed Bullet so far, in any of my 45LC`s. The 45LC is without dought my all time favorite Pistol Cartridge.
ken

The Norseman

Blackhawk
First off, thank you for asking any question about
Reloading you have. There is so much Knowledge
here and good People to help.

When I start reloading something new I reload just a
few rounds, like maybe 3 to 5 rounds. That has always
worked for me so I don't have a lot into it if something
doesn't work out.

My current 45 Colt reload for Plinking and
Indoor Range.
Revolver is S&W 625-6 45 Colt Mountain Gun.

250gr Lead RNFP Round Nose Flat Point .452 Diameter Bullet
Oregon Trail Laser Cast
6.0grs of Alliant Red Dot powder,
Primer: CCI LP #300 or S&B LP primer
Crimp: Medium?
Brass; Starline, Win, Rem, CB,
Tumbled lubed with Ben's LL formula
for Lead free performance.
FPS: 850?

I used Handloader Magazine Article by Brian Pearce.

Some other Powders I use; Unique, Bullseye,
American Select, and Long Shot.

Long Shot is for low pressure, high velocity,
FPS: 1000?, Black Bear load.
Hard Lead Bullet (RCBS SAA-270) by Montana Bullet Works.

Also from a Handloader Article.

Be Safe and good luck in your endeavors .

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys for all the info, found 9 gn of unique to be a pretty good load ,8 was good too, but my blackhawk didn't seem to like 8 1/2 for some reason accuracy suffered. Kinda strange since it's right between, oh this is with Oregon Trail laser cast 250 gn, gonna load up 50 with 9 and 20 with 8 , I'm also considering other powders in the future , any suggestions, I'm most interested in accuracy, thanks

daveg.inkc

Hunter
We all are interested in accuracy. I like Red Dot, 6 or 7 grs. HS -6, 10 or 11 grs. These loads are with a 250 gr bullet. On the upper end, IMR -4227, 2400. H110 produce good shooting cartridges for me.

George

Blackhawk
I have a new 45Colt/ .45acp in SS 4 3/4" barrel you know the mid frame ones. So far with .45colts I only had a chance to try unique I used 7grains under a 250 grain Keith Style LFN. It shot a little all over.. Recoil very soft! Same setup with 9grains of unique shot really nice for me.. My lee manual said it was still under the recommended safe pressure for this gun. It's hard for me to tell. I see nothing telling me it to high for this gun! I'm not recoil sensitive. I could shoot this load all day! But something keeps telling me 8.5 grains would be the right load for me .. going to try it soon just haven't had a chance to yet. So using my 9 grains loads for my once in a while use and working load.. George

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I found 21 grs of 2400 to be very accurate in my 1972 Blackhawk. This is the 7.5" convertible model. RENE has $865.00 for price guide, so I paid well for this .45. I have owned and shot several .45 BH, and this is the best one yet! .45 Auto throats were .449". .45 C throats were .450". I reamed to .453" before I fired it. 5 grs of Bullseye and a 200 XTP feels anemic is this classic. Not so with 250 XTP's.

Latest posts