Question on Frontier rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I've been wanting a .308 Frontier once I heard about them,but I was too late after they were discontinued.My local shop has several in different calibers but not .308.There is .243,.338, and .358,is it possible to buy one of those and have it rebarreled to .308 since all calibers are based on a .308?He has a .308 compact also but would need to be drilled and tapped and obtain the sight rail.Thanks for the help.BTW,there is one on Gunbroker for a while now but I'm not paying $1100 for one!

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
That seller (Halifax) has some of the most ridiculous Ruger pricing I've ever seen. Check with these guys and see if they still have a .308 for the listed $539 price:
http://www.specialtysportsandsupply.com/313.html

You could have another caliber re-barreled, or re-bored in the case of the .243, but rather than do that I think I'd buy one in .338 Federal and sink the re-barreling cost into a big supply of ammunition. The 7mm-08 would be a great choice too.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Thought the 7mm 08 would great but doest have that either.Checked the link,apparently they dont have anymore,add to cart and it turns into a hawkeye allweather .270 and jumps 100 dollars.Their price for the Frontier is the same here.I 'm thinking between the .243 and the .338 if I cant find the .308.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Do you reload? If so get the 358. Ignore all you may of heard of the cartridge. It is flat shooting out to 250 yards and it just dumps deer on their ass like you would not believe. Recoil is no more than a 308. Also plenty of power bullet weight for bigger critters. The 358 will easily handle all North American game except the big bears.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
I've got a full size bolt rifle in 30-06 and was wanting a smaller brush gun.I do reload so the .308 made sence.Thought the .243 might be ok since I have the bigger gun,was worried about finding .338 being fairly new(not in my outdated reloading books),and thought the .358 might be too much.Got me thinking about it some more though....

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
If you reload, get the .358 Winchester. The components are more available than ever, and there are some great bullets around to handle anything you want to hunt without overkill.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The only thing that can be a challenge at times is brass. But it is easily made from 308. I have stockpile of a several hundred. So I can keep my 3 358s feed for a long time.

Latest posts