Question on Factory added engraving

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
If a gun is sent back to the factory to be engraved does the factory engraving add extra value to the gun? Or is the value only added for the engraving itself ? I hope how I worded the question make sense. And would a factory letter have the additional work on the gun added to it ?

flatgate

Hawkeye
I would imagine the value would increase by roughly the cost of the engraving job.

It would not approach the value of a gun that was engraved prior to being shipped "the first time".

I hope this makes sense.

I don't think the "Factory Letter" would include any "after the fact" service, modifications, engraving, etc. The letter would only address the configuration of said gun prior to its' being shipped "the first time".

JMHO,

flatgate

JCCVaquero

Bearcat
R.L.Wilson an expert who had some legal trouble tarnishing his reputation. He has written several articles in older Guns and Ammo Annuals.

In these earlier works he stated "The investment value of the Factory Engraved arm must not be overlooked." also "The differences in grades and classes is primarily one of quantity certain types being more profuse than others."

Finally he says "The phrase "factory engraved", is of special importance in considering investment value of the decorated gun.

By way of personal application I own two factory engraved guns my first a 9410 lever action Winchester the second, a stainless Ruger Vaquero. Changes in both companies within a year or two after my commissions were finished make it impossible for others to commission "factory engraving"

The lead time required for the work to be done and the shipping both ways add to the value of the gun at least in terms of my willingness to sell it. After all once I sell it I no longer own it. Special guns fall into the my gun, my price category.

good luck with your project...

BlkHawk73

Hunter
IMO, it all depends. Factory engraving would add more than some but certainly not as much as some others. If it's resale value in question, that figure is heavily dependant on what someone else is willing to pay for it. Easy to put $$$$ into a gun and then only get $$$ out of it. Without documentation everything is heresay so there's a biggie also.