Question on Ammunition for 30 carbine Ruger Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OceanRugerman

Bearcat
Hi guys

Bought a used 30 carbine Ruger and it appeared to be in next to new shape and I also had a gunsmith look it over. All seemed ok.

I cleaned the gun thoroughly after purchase and after every time used. Have only shot 50 or so rounds through it. see below

But with ammunition almost impossible to buy I picked some Aguila, mexican, and some Serbia made ammunition at a gun show. However when shooting both of these brands I experience the casings are extremely hard to get out of the chambers and in some cases I have had to resort to a wood dowel to tap the case out. These are full metal jacket rounds. 110 gr. FMJ

I was going to resort to reloading some see Gunbroker add number 138678363 listing some copper plated bullets 110gr RN.

I am taking up reloading as the cost to shoot has just gone out of sight for me.

Can anyone give me some advise on materials for new ammo (brands USA or other), reload supplies etc. on this 30 carbine or any other Rugers rifles, pistols and revolvers as I have many. Just aquired a used Mini 30 using 762X39 and come to find out manufactures use both large and small primers in the brass. remington uses the large.

What gives?

Thanks for any help.

Bill

one eye joe

Bearcat
I assume that you had no problems with the ammo that you shot before purchasing the 2 foreign brands. What were you shooting at first ?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Prior to reloading you should obtain at least two "name brand" reloading manuals to use as reference books.

You'll be glad you did.

flatgate

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
ODCMP <www.thecmp.org> has a pretty good deal on .30 carbine ammo from Aguila but, unfortunately, a long back order right now. Worth a look though. If you don't have a fair amount of experience with reloading I can only say that the .30 carbine IS NOT a great caliber to start out with. It can be very picky as to case length, thickness, bullet choice, etc, etc, etc. However, it's not rocket science and after reading up on it some I'm sure you'll do ok. Sticky extraction is not uncommon with the .30 carbine Ruger. You can "carefully" polish the chambers just a bit and prhaps this will improve things a bit. There have been a number of posts in the past from guys who have done this with good results. Good luck. Gerry

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
In my experience, shooting full load rifle ammo in the Ruger will sometime give sticky extraction. Remember, these are rifle loads at 40K pressure. I reload most of mine to a lower pressure with cast bullets.