Question on a pair of older Ruger revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Went to the local gun shop today and noticed he had a pair of Rugers. One was a Security Six with a 2 3/4 inch barrel, has a lot of holster wear but no pitting on the outside, original grips is blued and looks like it was fired very little. No wear at all on the inside of the top strap by the forcing cone and at the firing pin. He wants $400 for it.

The other is a Blackhawk, a Flat Top in .357 with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. This one is basically a shooter, the finish on the gun is good, but someone added a red insert to the front sight, it was well done, but it is certainly not original and they added a white outline to the rear sight, which was also well done. The grips are original on it, they're in good shape, not great, no cracks on the outside couldn't get them off to check the inside in case the screw was overtightened. They are at least the original black eagles. The triggerguard and grip frame appear to have been redone. It looks like it was done in some sort of high temp coating because it's very well done, but its also not original but it's not coming off. You have to look closely to see it's not the original finish. The loading gate has a nice plumb hue and the action is very crisp, and it has a great bore. It was back to the factory to have the transfer bar added but the original parts are gone. For that one, he wants $475, from the quick glance I got at the serial number on it, it appears to have been made in 1958.

So with the things with both guns, are they worth the money. The Security Six with the holster wear is at least all original, but they are both shooters. I told the shop owner, who is not too knowledgeable on the older Blackhawks that the modifications to the gun while might be practical, are not helping the value. The grip frame of course could be brought back but the front sight is what it is. I have been out of the game on these for some time so I really am not up on what the real world values on them are. Any thoughts?

I'll let somebody else speak on the Flattop, but...

Security Six values have escalated. $400 is probably not terrible for a decent shooter grade Security Six, but on the other hand, you can get a really nice one for $500. So is a hundred dollar savings really a bargain?

It boils down to the buyers priorities. If you're buying it to carry and shoot, and can save a hundred bucks by letting someone else wear the blue off, then that might just be the best bargain.

WAYNO.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi David,

It's true, many shop owners have a smattering of knowledge about all guns, but very few are that knowledgeable about ALL guns, especially the older ones and old model Ruger single actions in particular!

$475 is over priced for the Blackhawk as you describe it, $375 is closer to the mark especially with the retrofit transfer bar and no original parts.