Question? Narrow grip frames on the new model Ruger Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I know the model Vaqueros are mostly mid-frame guns even in 45 Colt. They have a narrower grip frame where you hold on to the grip that is. My question is on the 44 Magnum Vaquero new model. I know they make those still with the larger frame so my question is do those have the narrower grip frame handles also? Didn't know if they may use the wider ones on those new models for comfort. Thanks! George

From what I recall when the "new " Vaqueros fist came out, we had measured the differences and the frame thickness went from .488 on the original "old" Vaqueros, to .440" for the "New" Vaqueros........today I have no clue as don't have one around here to actually measure, and these days with the castings, who knows, for certain.... 8) :roll: :wink:

George

Blackhawk
Dan, thanks for getting back to me. What I have is a 2002 new model Ruger Vaquero that has a bird's head grip frame on it. I know that grip frame is extremely wide didn't measure it but guessing over a half an inch.

If I remember right the old style plow handle grip frames measured 1/2 inch and the new style grip frames measured 7/16's I believe. Again this is a guest for memory. was thinking about putting a plow handle grip frame on this NM Ruger Vaquero I have it's a Davidson sold gun in 45 Colt.

Has a three and a half inch barrel and second generation case colored frame. Got it from a vet that bought it new and never fired the gun, been in the safe. Not even a turn line on it. So it's debatable whether I shoot it or not more than likely will. Never did like the bird's head grip frame as to how it looked anyway but never shot one yet. Must say after owning it I am warming up to its appearance.

My feeling is I'd like a plow handle grip frame on this gun and I know the new model some of them had built-in locks and we're of they all where of the narrow variety or not. Everything I read they should fit as best as one can fit that's not fit on the gun itself it was made for.

Anyway thought I'd put up a little information as to what I'm planning to do for you and others to read! Thanks again George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi George,

First thing, to clear up terminology to prevent misunderstanding; "New Model" refers only to the addition of the transfer bar to a model that previously existed without it, i.e., now called the "Old Model".

Therefore when discussing Vaqueros "New Model" does not apply to any of them because there was no pre transfer bar Vaq models or "Old Model" Vaq ever made.

So there are only the "Original Vaq" with large cyl frame, and then the "New Vaq" most with mid size cyl frame, but the 44 Mag has the large cyl frame.

"Original Vaqs" have 1/2" wide XR3-RED (RE-Designed) size grip frames. ALL "New Vaqs" have a 7/16" wide old model size XR3 grip frame, including the New Vaq 44 Mag.

Your 2002 Original Vaq would have the XR3-RED grip frame as said above, if not a Birdshead model. I highly recommend that grip frame for any Vaq 44 Mag, Original or New Vaq to prevent knuckle busting. Any Ruger grip frame will fit your 44 Mag.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

George

Blackhawk
Thank you for your reply! Yes new Ruger Vaquero is stamped on the side the gun. It is a 45 Colt large frame 2002 build as I said. The grip frame I'm looking at is a xr3 it does have the lock it is the narrow grip frame. And I believe does less distance between the grip frame and the trigger housing then your preferred grip Fame you mentioned. With that xr3 frame still be much better than the birdshead frame that came with the gun I have. I have no intention of shooting Ruger only loads through the gun. Only upper end Colt loads and I may work them up a little bit from there. If I am correct it's about the same distance between the 45 Colt convertible new model 2017 version with the regular grip frame flat top. In that does have less distance in the area then the group frame you mentioned. Would it still be a worthwhile swap or should I wait on the xr3 red grip frame? Thanks again.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yes the Flat Top Blackhawks do also use the 7/16" XR3 size grip frame. I find it superior to the Birdshead. I find that the Birdshead grip twists sideways in my hand under recoil and would only use it shooting 38s in a 357 Ruger, or the single six .22 and .32.

You might find the XR3 grip frame satisfactory enough especially with 44 Specials and lighter 44 Mag loads. But it is 1/8" shorter behind the trigger guard which may rap your knuckle. If your only planning to shoot 44 Mag, I'd wait on an XR3-RED grip frame.

Note: the later XR3 grip frames do not have the lock. But if you do get one with the lock there's a way to eliminate the lock.

jgt

Buckeye
I am far from a Ruger expert, but I believe the "new vaquero" and flattops with the prefix 520-xxxx have the lock. The later version with the prefix 521-xxxx do not have the lock. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Hondo44 said:
Yes the Flat Top Blackhawks do also use the 7/16" XR3 size grip frame. I find it superior to the Birdshead. I find that the Birdshead grip twists sideways in my hand under recoil and would only use it shooting 38s in a 357 Ruger, or the single six .22 and .32.

You might find the XR3 grip frame satisfactory enough especially with 44 Specials and lighter 44 Mag loads. But it is 1/8" shorter behind the trigger guard which may rap your knuckle. If your only planning to shoot 44 Mag, I'd wait on an XR3-RED grip frame.

Note: the later XR3 grip frames do not have the lock. But if you do get one with the lock there's a way to eliminate the lock.

I have never noticed that! I have a couple Revolvers with Birds Head grips! Both are 4 5/8, maybe a longer
barrel may add some torque! ps