Question - LCP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

raveneap

Bearcat
As mentioned in another post, I picked up my new LCP yesterday. I've found that the magazine can not be inserted unless the mag release button is depressed. Then it slides in with no problem. It also releases with no problem. Is this normal for this pistol?
Thanks

mwp4

Bearcat
I've had an LCP since they first started coming out. None of my 3 mags work that way. They go right in like my other pistols.

Mike

raveneap

Bearcat
Problem solved. I called Ruger Customer Service and she knew just what I was talking about. She said since they went to a steel mag catch, some were stiff and just needed to be re-seated. She said to insert the mag a little ways and hit it with the palm of your hand. It'll go in and will never bother again. I did and that was it - works fine now.

A

Anonymous

raveneap":2bok4k2q said:
Problem solved. I called Ruger Customer Service and she knew just what I was talking about. She said since they went to a steel mag catch, some were stiff and just needed to be re-seated. She said to insert the mag a little ways and hit it with the palm of your hand. It'll go in and will never bother again. I did and that was it - works fine now.

Does that mean to say you have to hit it with the palm of your hand "everytime" to seat the magazine?

My new LCP also catches when inserting the clip as yours does. Have not yet called Ruger on it but have slammed the clip in as you have mentioned but, the manual says not to force the clip in and hitting the clip with the palm..... rather than forceful shove with the palm seems to be excessive wouldn't you think?!

raveneap

Bearcat
She said to hit it with the palm of your hand "as though you were hitting a volley ball". I did notice that I had to do it a few times but seems to be ok now and acting like a "normal" magazine insertion.

A

Anonymous

OK... Here's my update... I did call Ruger and spoke to them myself regarding the clip release and the tightness as mentioned in the above post.

And.... I was told to bump the clip in with my palm.. of which I did and it does work but, my real concern was.... Will it ever get "easier" or will I have to bump it in hard all the time.?
I was told to do it several times and it will get better... It's just new and tight and, now that there is, in fact a metal clip release used and that they are stiffer and less prone to wear down .....

Now that I've done the clip bumping several times it has become easier and has a solid positive locking feel.

I was just overly concerned and had to verify myself by calling Ruger and putting them to the test... They said they get several calls a day about this clip on the LCP and have considered putting a little note in with every new LCP shipped but have not yet done such.

So there, rest assured Ruger is on the Mark with a nice LCP and great customer support.... even for old farts like me with needless concerns... sometimes anyway..