Question: How many have canted sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
Just curious as to how many shooters on this forum have bought Ruger handguns of any style or type, that have come from the factory with canted or leaning front sights.

I have a Blackhawk in .45 Colt that came with the front sight leaning to the right. So I am #1.

So who is going to be #2?....or #3.....or etc?

tek4260

Buckeye
I can be #2 thru about #9.

They all have found new homes or I have replaced the front sight with a taller one properly indexed and re-pinned

Easy Ed

Single-Sixer
I bought a used MN 41 this spring off gunbroker with a canted front sight. Top strap was also buffed concave in the middle. Great trigger pull though.

ED

w5lx

Single-Sixer
I have a Vaquero in .45 LC that shot low and left...about a foot at 15 yards. I returned it under warranty and they turned the barrel. It came back perfect. This was several years ago, well before the New Vaquero came out.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I don't have any but also buy off the rack, so look at guns before I buy them. I think there were a couple Rugers with the front sight odd. Did not buy them and can't remember the details now.

J Miller

Blackhawk
I've had some. My OM .45 BH tilted to the right. Were it not for the scarcity of that model I would have left it sit.
The OM .357 I bought through this forum has the front sight tilted and twisted. I'm gonna fix it myself as soon as I get some ambition.

My OM Super Single-Six also tilts a tiny bit.

I think most of them do. Ruger rarely gets them straight.

Joe

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I must be super lucky because I have 9 single actions that I have ordered over the last year and all must be straight because I never have to move the windage screw over a couple of clicks to get them to shoot to point of aim. All of mine are blackhawks or supers and 1 single six and all my sights are set in the center of the adjustment in the back. My 45 colts are prettywell bottomed out on adjustment for the 300 gr. fairly hot handloads. Ruger should have put a taller front sight on them. But that's the only problem I have ever had with any of my guns. It may have to do with the way you hold the pistols. My son has a lot of trouble with a lot of the rugers he has had with the rear sight adjusted all the way to one side for him to shoot when i shoot them they hit way off for me and have to be adjusted back to pretty well centered for me to hit with. So that tell's me the holding is different for the same gun with the same loads shooting different for 2 people with the same sight setting. He is a better pistol shot than me but he is 21 yrs younger with great eyesight and all its to be expected.

Cholo

Staff member
I don't have any with a canted front sight. I've turned down a bunch that had them, especially Security Sixes from the 70's. If t's cockeyed, I don't buy it.

TK, there's a big difference with a gun shooting to a different point of aim between shooters and a gun that has a front sight canted towards 5 PM... :wink:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
I have two GP's and a new blackhawk.

The blackhawk and my 2nd GP's sights are spot on.

The other GP initially looked as if it was leaning to the left. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the sight was miscast and undersized. I replaced the front sight with a Millett, and found out it's actually leaning a small amount to the right. The rear sight has allowed me to zero this one perfectly. I never asked Ruger to fix it.

COR

Blackhawk
I had to send a 4 5/8" Single Six back about 2 years ago, this was one of the "newer" styles with the warning under the barrel. It was almost at 1:00, the shop even told me not to take it and I wouldn't have taken it home but it was a gift and I ordered it late so I sucked it up. Ruger had it back in my hands in less than 2 weeks so I can't complain too much. I have a tendency to shoot all my guns left so it is not uncommon for my windage to be "out of square" and adjusted right....as long as I hit what I am aiming at, I just keep shootin.

Does this seem to be more prevalent among the models that have the warning under the barrel? I have seen more posts recently, just curious.

damhans

Bearcat
The barrel on my 2.25" SP101 is canted a tiny little bit to the right (when looking from the rear). It doesn't affect accuracy or POI (at self defense distances), so it doesn't bother me. In fact, you can't even notice unless you look real close.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
In the past 30 years I have had 2. One .45 BH and one SBH. I purchased the SBH about 15 years ago and finally got around to shooting it last week. The rear sight is bottomed out and cranked all the way to the right to get it in the bull at 25 yards. The load is a RCBS KT-250 and 18.5 grns of 2400. It shoots good groups with this load so I guess my neighbor David Clements will get it on the straight and narrow real soon.
BB