Question: How many have canted sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I read an article some years ago about Colt and their manufacturing of fixed sight double action revolvers. They used a jig to hold the handgun and verified the regulation of the sights as to the bore with a laser. this would quickly point out any front sight and or barrel that was out of alignment. I read this article years ago, so I may be in error.

Howdy

The threads on Single Action revolvers are cut very differently than the threads on Double Action revolvers.

Single Action barrels are just a tube. There are no distinguishing features to indicate which way is 'up' other than the front sight. In these days of CNC machining centers, I'm sure just where the thread starts in both the barrel and the frame is relatively easy to control, otherwise we would be seeing front sights screwed on sideways. But still, it is easy to not completely thread the barrel all the way on, and it is easy to slightly overtighten it, slightly compressing the metal, so that the sight leans slightly to the other side. Back before CNC existed, this would have had to be jigged up, but it was still possible to do. With a SA barrel, Ruger starts with barrel blanks about 3 feet long that they buy from barrel makers. They don't make their own SA barrels. The blanks are oversized in outside diameter, but the bore and rifling are completely finished. Ruger chops the blanks to the appropriate length, and does any outside contouring necessary, including cutting the threads and the little slot where the front sight sits. A friend of mine took a tour of the factory a few years ago and witnessed the little slots being cut. Ruger was paying by piece work at the time, and my friend was not impressed with how quickly the threaded barrels were slammed into a jig and the little slot was cut. It would be impractical to cut the little slot after the barrel was threaded in, the key is to not pay by piece work, and take some care when cutting the little slot. When the little slot is cut, it is important that it be precisely aligned with the start of the thread, so that when the barrel is torqued in just enough for the thread shoulder to stop against the frame, the sight is vertical. This is true with all single action barrels that are simple tubes, Colts too. It is also true for the alignment of the stud that holds the extractor housing in place.

Double Action barrels that have various profiles like underlugs and sights or sight ramps integral with the barrel are a completely different story. You only get one chance, since it ain't a simple tube. If the barrel thread and the frame thread are not precisely aligned, the whole thing will tilt. I have bunches of old Smiths made long before CNC equipment existed. I would love to see the tooling they used to get it just right, but the sights on old Smiths never tilt, they are always got it right and the sights are perfectly vertical. When the barrel was screwed in, it stopped on the shoulder of the thread and everything lined up perfectly. Then they drilled the barrel and frame for the pin. Remember pinned barrels?

For the record, I have 3 Vaqueros, 2 New Vaqueros, and a Blackhawk, and the front sights are all perfectly vertical. I used to have a Cimarron Cattleman that had a leaning front sight. I don't have it anymore.

chet15

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson":2d6c7z7b said:
A friend of mine took a tour of the factory a few years ago and witnessed the little slots being cut. Ruger was paying by piece work at the time, and my friend was not impressed with how quickly the threaded barrels were slammed into a jig and the little slot was cut. It would be impractical to cut the little slot after the barrel was threaded in, the key is to not pay by piece work, and take some care when cutting the little slot. When the little slot is cut, it is important that it be precisely aligned with the start of the thread, so that when the barrel is torqued in just enough for the thread shoulder to stop against the frame, the sight is vertical. This is true with all single action barrels that are simple tubes, Colts too. It is also true for the alignment of the stud that holds the extractor housing in place.

Double Action barrels that have various profiles like underlugs and sights or sight ramps integral with the barrel are a completely different story. You only get one chance, since it ain't a simple tube. If the barrel thread and the frame thread are not precisely aligned, the whole thing will tilt. I have bunches of old Smiths made long before CNC equipment existed. I would love to see the tooling they used to get it just right, but the sights on old Smiths never tilt, they are always got it right and the sights are perfectly vertical. When the barrel was screwed in, it stopped on the shoulder of the thread and everything lined up perfectly. Then they drilled the barrel and frame for the pin. Remember pinned barrels?

OK, great info!! So the "little slot" you are talking about is the "alignment means" for the front sight base when it is installed (which has a corresponding "male" key) to fit in that slot?
So, the barrels have that slot cut before being seated to the frame.
If that's the case, then Ruger should be milling that slot on their round barrels after the barrel is seated to the frame in order to stop their canted front sight issue.
But from your information I presume Ruger does that slot procedure as a timing mark, in order to "perfectly cut those threads on the rear of the barrel the same way every time", to begin threading into the frame the same way every time and to seat to the frame the same every time. I note that Ruger machines their cylinders the same way. They start by milling one of the cylinder stop notches in the cylinder as a timing mark. Then every milling operation after that is "timed" into perfect alignment by using that original cylinder stop notch. I will also note that by doing the barrels in this manner, it also makes it much easier to fit a new barrel to a gun that has been returned for service. You would not be stopping normal production at all the many different workstations in order to "fix" one gun that has barrel issues. Can you imagine the quagmire of having one gun every so often stop regular production at all of thise individual work stations? and then to re-jig the fixtures to fit that one barrel and/or frame, then re-jig back again to get going again with what they were working on beforehand?
There has been some information in the past that the sights on Ruger's "round" barrels are only put on after the barrel has been seated to the frame. Of course, a company can always do it this way...with the extra jigs and fixtures needed to hold the barreled cylinder frame in place (extra costs involved!), but it has always made more sense to me if everything is done to that barrel first (including rollmarking), installing the front sight, drilling the ejector housing screw and final polishing before seating it to the frame. Maybe Ruger has had everything on the barrel done before being seated to the frame...then they solder the front sight on. But with all the canted front sights, it wouldn't seem they have been doing it this way.
And hey, here's something for all you collectors to think about that may also get you to thinking this way. How many of you out there have noticed the Super Blackhawk (high polish examples, which is 99.9 percent of production) that show the barrel rollmark as being kind of blurred as if the polishing was done after that barrel was rollmarked...yet you know that gun has an original Ruger blue? Well, in order for this to happen, that barrel has to be completely polished with Ruger's special Super Blackhawk finish....after the rollmark has been put on the barrel!! The only way to get the polish up to the rear corner of the barrel, the part that butts up to the cylinder frame, is to polish that barrel before the barrel is seated to the frame....and after that rollmark has been applied! Check out the book pictures...those Super Blackhawk barrel rollmarks look a little "smeared" (All OM high polish S47's look this way), and that can only happen before the barrel is seated to the frame!
Everybody know what I'm saying here? This can help to explain why the transition from a non-Inc. to Inc. Single-Six barrel took two years to complete. If that non-INC die was worn out (the purpose for ordering new rollmarking dies in the first place!), then why is it those non-inc addresses keep showing up much later? Maybe because those aready finished and rollmarked barrels were sitting in a crate ready to be used? This now makes more sense than ever before to me.
This also explains how Ruger can have non-logo barrels (meant for the flattop) being installed on the Super Blackhawk, and logo barrels mean't for the Super Blackhawk installed on the .44 flattop instead (somebody grabbed the wrong box of barrels!!).
It would also sorta explain how Ruger got the barrels polished all the way up to the frame on those early high-polish .357 flattops. Ruger would had to take the barrels off in order to get them match polished all the way back to the corner of the barrel that meets up with the frame. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't all those barrels have to have exactly the same barrel threads on them so that any of those barrels would go back on any of those guns?
Something else, what's the easiest way to guarantee the minimal headspace between the rear barrel cone and the front of the cylinder? You make the threads identical every time, so that when the barrel is squeezed up tight to the frame, you don't have to go back in with some sort of grinding/polishing equipment to take a little more off the rear of the barrel cone.
You know, Ruger has had the procedure of cutting those barrel threads perfectly (to seat up to the front face of the cylinder frame) for a long time. Their .22 pistol barrels have to be done this way because the front sight lug and feed ramp are all one integral unit with the barrel. I think Ruger got this idea from his WWII machine gun designing days because how else do you change an overheated MG barrel with any features it may already have on it (front sight or various other features) and have those items line up on it perfectly when re-assembled to the receiver? Its because those threads have to be cut on the rear of that barrel identically every time.

And it has also never made sense to me why Ruger would have two different procedures at the factory for cutting their barrel threads (one procedure so that they were timed...ala DA barrels, and a different procedure for the round barrels). Two different procedures means more equipment needed, more employees needed, less floor space, as well as whatever else problems that may have presented. Do we suppose Ruger would have had these two operational procedures in the cramped confines of the Red Barn complex???

OK, now I'm anxious to here some feedback on this!

Chet15

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

I think you are over thinking this. I have not seen it, but I suspect the fixture used for cutting the little slot in the barrel for the front sight is very simple. All you need is a block with the frame threads cut in the exact same relationship as they are in the frame. Screw the barrel into the block until it stops, cut the slot at the 'top', unscrew the barrel and screw in the next. The actual sight blade is a simple stamped part that is silver soldered into the slot. There is no 'keying' the slot is very shallow, and it is the same width as the sight blade. I think the problem was arising because with piece work the employees were paid according to how many pieces they completed in a day. Which could lead to hurrying and not screwing the barrel into the fixture all the way.

Hopefully I will see my friend who witnessed this this weekend and hopefully I will ask him about it.

chet15

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson":2ljq5d4d said:
The actual sight blade is a simple stamped part that is silver soldered into the slot. There is no 'keying' the slot is very shallow, and it is the same width as the sight blade.

I guess I always thought the front sight was one piece, cut from an extrusion. Didn't think the front sight blade was actually piece #2 that is soldered into a slot in the top of the front sight base.
I will have to look at some front sight bases. I was almost positive they have a "key" in the bottom of them so that they align in a slot that is cut into the top front of the barrel. Can anybody confirm???
Chet15

tek4260

Buckeye
Blackhawk is one piece ramp/base with an alignment pin between the base and the barrel. The Vaquero is simple blade soldered in a slot in the barrel. Think there was some confusion on which model you were talking about.

chet15

Hawkeye
tek4260":2rb8xtx2 said:
Blackhawk is one piece ramp/base with an alignment pin between the base and the barrel. The Vaquero is simple blade soldered in a slot in the barrel. Think there was some confusion on which model you were talking about.

Gotcha. I thought I'd remembered the Blackhawk base having a pin or something on the bottom to line within a slot in the barrel, just thought it was a fairly long key (blade type) that set down into the barrel slot for perfect front to back alignment.
Chet15

batmann

Single-Sixer
This magical Colt method didn't seem to work on my 1965 Colt DS. It was mounted crooked. It is not a 'shooter as it is an unbleemed, nickeled, and a truely beautiful revolver and it resides in my safe. My homage to the 1930's 'Who done it' movies, as they all seemed to carry one.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy Again

I spoke to my friend today and he told me what he had seen on his Ruger tour. It was about 15 years ago. I was wrong about the barrels being slotted independent of the frames. The barrels were already screwed into the frames but the little slot for the front sight had not yet been cut. The frame was clamped down in a fixture, and a small slotting saw mounted on a pivot was used to cut the slot. In concept, this is a great way to do this. The barrel can be threaded into the frame without worrying about the orientation of the barrel. Just screw it in and then cut the slot so it is perfectly vertical.

The problem was, as I mentioned before, these guys were being paid for piecework. The more they produced, the more money they made. So they started taking shortcuts. What my friend saw was they were hurrying so much that they did not take the time to blow the chips out of the fixture after each barrel was cut. So with chips in the way, there was no consistancy to the orientation of the gun in the fixture, which contributed to inconsistant orientation of the slot for the front sight, which contributed to sights being mounted off center or canted to one side.

Cholo

Staff member
Does all this explain why Ruger's barrels seem to be canted to the right? The law of averages would say 1/3 would be canted right, 1/3 right on and 1/3 to the left. I've never seen one canted left, but then again I don't own all the Rugers produced since 1949.

I wish... :wink:

A

Anonymous

I had a SBH that was canted to the right. It never bothered me. I now have a Super Single Six and the sights are spot on!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
4" .44 Redhawk with sights canted to the left (over-indexed barrel). Was sent back to the factory by original owner, "corrected", and returned. Barrel is still so far over-indexed it requires the rear sight to be cranked all the way to the side to compensate. May have a local smith look at it when I have the time, money, and inclination.

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":2ynjbhds said:
.Barrel is still so far over-indexed it requires the rear sight to be cranked all the way to the side to compensate. .

The only thing that annoys me as much as the above is having a steering wheel that's cocked one way or the other when you're driving down a straight road. THat just drives me CRAZY !

I've had one too, a beautiful SS SBH 4 5/8 ... sent it back, Ruger fixed it perfectly, and I sold it. Decided I wasn't into the whole SA scene. :D

REV

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't know about a "slot" in the barrel for the front sight assembly but I have seen a "pin" utilized. I have several front sights in my parts box and they exhibit a round hole on the "barrel side".

It seems silly to attempt to "clock" a single action barrel such that the sight is straight, the "logo" is straight and the ejector housing screw is in the right place! Barrels are screwed into position with something like 40 to 50 ft. lbs. of torque. Then it's a much more straight forward task to index the barreled receiver in a jig so the front sight pin or screw hole can be milled then the barreled receiver is rotated "x degrees" so the ejector housing screw hole or lug hole can be milled.

My guess is that the workers are simply botching the job and that S.R.& Co. has certainly dropped the ball......

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":2fjau3xm said:
I don't know about a "slot" in the barrel for the front sight assembly but I have seen a "pin" utilized. I have several front sights in my parts box and they exhibit a round hole on the "barrel side".

It seems silly to attempt to "clock" a single action barrel such that the sight is straight, the "logo" is straight and the ejector housing screw is in the right place! Barrels are screwed into position with something like 40 to 50 ft. lbs. of torque. Then it's a much more straight forward task to index the barreled receiver in a jig so the front sight pin or screw hole can be milled then the barreled receiver is rotated "x degrees" so the ejector housing screw hole or lug hole can be milled.

My guess is that the workers are simply botching the job and that S.R.& Co. has certainly dropped the ball......

flatgate

Hey everybody...I wonder on these SA's with canted front sight if the address is slightly off-kilter also (the same direction as the sight)? Know what I'm getting at Flatgate? Not saying this is or isn't the way Ruger does things, but as you said...there's no reason to have a canted front sight if the sights are put on after the barrel is screwed into the frame.
Ruger aligns everything up on a cylinder frame from the barrel hole and base pin hole and/or hammer slot to give a top dead center alignment on every machining operation thereafter. So, why only the front sights canted???? Yes, chips in the machinery is plausible...but again, why are only the front sights canted instead of every other machining operation that needs to be completed off of top-dead-center alignment/jigging?
Chet15