Question: How many have canted sights?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
Maybe with so many complaints about this, Ruger should start putting the front sight on after the barrel has been screwed into the frame?? Those people in Ruger's repair shop could maybe spend their time putting new guns together instead of fixing old ones.
Sounds like this "canted" front sight issue is not limited to only the DA's, eh?
Chet15

Juniper

Bearcat
I purchased a used late 1970's vintage Blackhawk 4 5/8" 41 magnum less than 2 years ago. It had alot of use and pachmeyer grips. Price was right so I took it. Did notice the rear sight hung clear out to the side, but did'nt think much of it... Before shooting it I recentered the rear sight and let off the first round at 25 yards at a 2' square target. Did'nt even hit the target. Started cranking the sight to the right and soon had it back hanging out into space as far as it would go and then just cutting the left edge of the target at 15 yards. Started a serious examination and yes the front sight was tweaked sideways, not centered with the barrel. Turning the barrel would not help. Took it to a local gunsmith to have the front sight centered, he did not want to heat up the barrel to remove the sight and suggested I call Ruger. I called Ruger, told them the situation, that it was an older used gun. They requested I send it in, they would inspect and advise of any repair costs. I sent it out and then checked in from time to time to received a status report; gun is in rebarrel shop, gun is in test firing, etc., finally a box was delivered after several weeks. Inside was a factory Ruger box with a new appearing Ruger Blackhawk. I had to read the serial # before I believed it was not a new gun. New barrel, hammer, trigger, ejector rod housing, entire gun reblued and new factory wood grips installed and the old pachmeyers in box with gun. No cost except my original shipping. I sent Ruger a thank you note and received a reply back thanking me for my note, they included a Ruger patch and sticker. Needless to say I was impressed. I now look at front sights with added scrutiny on any Ruger Blackhawk, used or new, and would normally avoid one if, but for the right price would buy another off-centered front sight and send it back to Ruger with confidence in their repair service.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
chet15":1w3k1w44 said:
Maybe with so many complaints about this, Ruger should start putting the front sight on after the barrel has been screwed into the frame?? Those people in Ruger's repair shop could maybe spend their time putting new guns together instead of fixing old ones.

Chet15
That would be an excellent solution to the problem! That doesn't seem like to much to ask for when you buy a new revolver, please put the front sights on straight and vertical! :roll:

fallujah

Bearcat
I bought a ruger MKIII standard 22 last July 2008. The front sight is bent left. So the pistol shot left. Then I tapped and drifted the rear sight right (a bit out of center alignment). I shoots dead-on now. But yes, it does bother me that the sights weren't zeroed in at the factory.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
I bought a 4" GP-100 with a canted front sight. Fixed it myself.

I also bought a used Blackhawk of 1997 vintage. No problem with the front sight.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I thought canted front sights on a Ruger Blackhawk was a standard feature and the ones that didnt have it needed fixed.

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I read an article some years ago about Colt and their manufacturing of fixed sight double action revolvers. They used a jig to hold the handgun and verified the regulation of the sights as to the bore with a laser. this would quickly point out any front sight and or barrel that was out of alignment. I read this article years ago, so I may be in error.

I understand differences in grip tension, bullet weight and load and other variables can cause different points of impact, but Colt's procedure looks like it would be a good starting point to having a better shooting revolver.

Wrangler John

Bearcat
Never saw one, never bought one, single or double action. Mine are all straight, plumb and level. Sure you guys aren't a bit tilted, standing on a side hill or something? :D

chet15

Hawkeye
Big Bubba":1f9pl3b9 said:
I read an article some years ago about Colt and their manufacturing of fixed sight double action revolvers. They used a jig to hold the handgun and verified the regulation of the sights as to the bore with a laser. this would quickly point out any front sight and or barrel that was out of alignment. I read this article years ago, so I may be in error.

Ruger has a procedure to time the barrel threads with the frame threads on several of their models, the DA revolvers, Magnum M77 rifles (the ones with express sights), and their .22 pistols. Otherwise, they would not be able to align the barrel lug at top dead center with the frame (or the feed ramp area with the rear of the .22 pistol barrel which is all machined as one unit with the barrel). But their DA barrels aren't coming out even either, and I've seen more than one complaint about SA front sights being canted...and those are supposed to be done after the barrel is seated in the frame (I am still not convinced!!!).
Chet15

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have three .44 Special Blackhawks with canted sights. (I have a fourth which I have not checked.) In each case the sight is canted so slightly that it is hard to check it visually. Only when the guns are test fired and shoot far to the left does it become apparent.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I have a new .357 Anniversary Blackhawk that has a bad front sight. I have to crank the rear so far to the right that the adjustment screw is hanging way out there.

Quarryman

Bearcat
I bought a 4" Redhawk shortly after the model was introduced and sure enough, it had the canted sight. I raised a stink and the factory took care of it on warranty. Seems like it would be cheaper just to do it correctly in the first place!

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have a few that are very slightly canted. It was bad enough on my SP101 in 327, that with the rear sights centered, it shot 4" to the left at about 15 yards.

Charlie

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
every ruger handgun i have owned (5 total) has had a canted front sight which caused them to hit left or right of POA. the first one was a .32 mini vaquero w/ fixed sights. no way to adjust the sights, so we sent it back to ruger, and they "broke" it while it was there and said they couldnt replace it because it was discontinued. so ... every other ruger i have purchased has an adjustable rear sight. after a little tinkering w/ the rear sight, they all hit POA now.

i am very, very hesitant to buy a ruger w/ fixed sights .... (although id love to get a bearcat)

J Miller

Blackhawk
My OM .357 front sight is not only tilted to the left, but twisted on the barrel as well. You can see a gap between the RR of the front sight base and the barrel.
What annoys me is that this gun has been back to Ruger and converted. Why didn't they fix that defective sight then?

Now I gotta do it, or have it done.
Well, it needs a taller front sight any way and I have one. Just gotta do it.

joe

redeux

Bearcat
Quarryman":1n9b8rtc said:
Seems like it would be cheaper just to do it correctly in the first place!
i sent the ceo an email with almost the same words 2 weeks ago , never got a reply ... i wonder why ?

Big Bubba

Single-Sixer
I have owned a pile of S&Ws, J,K,L, and N frame, and never had an issue with canted sights. They are perfectly vertical. Also, the Smith's that have a replacable front sight blade have all had the front sight blade machined nice and tight with no wobbles or give.

I love Ruger handguns, but they have a problem that needs to be addressed with canted/and or loose front sight blades. If we get enough people complaining, maybe someone at Ruger will take notice.

It is not too much to ask when we lay down our hard earned money to expect a tight set of sights that are squared up and vertical.

I don't mind tuning up and tinkering with a gun to improve it, but fixing crooked, canted or loose sights should not be something that needs attention.