Question for you P90 owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

niteowl

Bearcat
I've been looking at picking one up, and i've seen a good variety of new and used guns. I noticed that the new P90's are laser engraved with Prescott, AZ and older models have the Southport, Conn rollmark. I'm assuming production changed from one facility to another at some point?

Because i'm not finding any fantastic deals on used ones, I'm really leaning towards a new model. So I guess my question is... Any difference in the quality between the early and later model guns? I've been reading that the P90 has a fairly good reputation as being an accurate .45 for the price. Does that reputation still exist?

P90

Single-Sixer
The older models could be had in Decocker only, and no safety. The new models are all safety models. They are all good guns and all made in Prescott.

5Wire

Single-Sixer
Here's an older decocker after a lengthy range session, a PP90DW where the extra P apparently signifies a "Police" package: three magazines, Ruger emblemed Hogue wrap arounds.

PP90DW_R1.jpg

No failures of any kind in eight years and thousands of rounds. Pretty accurate, somewhat gritty trigger. The decocker seem to be going in the high $300s very low $400s. Less for the safety models.

sdcharger

Bearcat
My old man bought an older P90 off my buddy for $300 recently. That included 250 rounds of ball ammo too. The gun has some handling marks but very few rounds through the barrel. I thought the deal was too good to pass up.

I've shot the gun a few times and I've found it to be accurate. It stikes me as a very functional gun.

Some of those Hogue grips might be nice...

old 112

Bearcat
Pertaining to repuation of P90.

NO RECALLS (AFAIK)

Very accuRate.
Very very dependable.
Very good comaparative price.
Overbuilt for strength.
Bill Ruger inspired desgn.

Did I mention

NO RECALLS

Regards,
Old 112

P90

Single-Sixer
I have Several Handguns, but the KP90DC is my #1 Gun. It shoots excellent, and is Completely Reliable, But if I need to hit some over the head with it, that will also work good for that. :D

greener

Single-Sixer
P90":3iha79w3 said:
I have Several Handguns, but the KP90DC is my #1 Gun. It shoots excellent, and is Completely Reliable, But if I need to hit some over the head with it, that will also work good for that. :D

One of the better descriptions of the P90 I've heard. :lol:

I bought a very lightly used P90DC for $200 a couple years ago. It was one of the best handgun buys I've made. The pistol is darned accurate. The only problems I've had have been with some of my reloads, especially semiwadcutter bullets. Something wants to knick the casings every now and then with the LSWC bullets. No problems with round nose of FMJ loads. I'll figure out what I'm doing one of these days.

If I want to check a load for accuracy, the P90 is my pistol of choice.

niteowl

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna hold out for the next gun show that's coming up to see what I can find. If that doesn't produce any candidates, I think I'll go ahead and pick up a new one.

P90

Single-Sixer
greener":3oh5krmy said:
P90":3oh5krmy said:

One of the better descriptions of the P90 I've heard. :lol:

I bought a very lightly used P90DC for $200 a couple years ago. It was one of the best handgun buys I've made. The pistol is darned accurate. The only problems I've had have been with some of my reloads, especially semiwadcutter bullets. Something wants to knick the casings every now and then with the LSWC bullets. No problems with round nose of FMJ loads. I'll figure out what I'm doing one of these days.

If I want to check a load for accuracy, the P90 is my pistol of choice.
Greener, try setting your bullet a little deeper. I was having the same problem and I seated the Bullet a little deeper and It works Hollow Points and Wadcutters fine now.

Erich

Single-Sixer
Niteowl, good luck to you. I watched the auction sites for a couple of weeks and was able to get into one for $300 earlier this year. I'm quite happy with it - just shot it yesterday with some pretty stout handloads.