Question for y'all 10-22 experts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
The user manual emphasizes NOT shooting CCI Stingers in the 10-22 due to case length hazard. I've used Stingers in other .22's (rifle and pistol) without any issues, so is this actually something I should pay attention to?

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Not to be negative but why try? In my experience they are garbage anyway, pattern like a shotgun in all my Rugers and Marlins. If you need more FPS from a rimfire then get a magnum.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
in factory Ruger bbl's I've used them without issues and with some pretty good results at the range. I do see tham as more hype than anything but in a market where people think more power or speed is a superior must have, I don't doubt some swear by them over the alternative. What will they do to the rodent that any other option won't so longas you place your shot correctly?

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It's not a big deal for me since I prefer 40grn bullets anyway. I just find it curious that Ruger seems to be the only maker that makes an issue of it. I only have about 100 rnds of Stingers which I can use up in the other .22's I have. :)

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a feeling that they are being cautious because the Stingers have a slightly longer shell (case) than other .22LRs (at least that's what I've read). I would assume that a longer shell in a tight-spec chamber could cause excessive pressure that could cause a (serious?) problem (?)

J.

NikA

Buckeye
I could have sworn the Stinger warning in the 10/22 manual only applied to the semi-match chambers in the target models. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I fired at least one through both a target and regular model, with the main issue I encountered being ejection of an unfired Stinger-type round from the tighter target chambers. Not sure if anything has changed, the manual I remember this from is probably from 2020 or so.

ETA: just pulled the latest off the Ruger website, the Stinger warning specifically only applies to "Target" and "Tactical" models. Right at the top of the page above the warning box.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I could have sworn the Stinger warning in the 10/22 manual only applied to the semi-match chambers in the target models. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I fired at least one through both a target and regular model, with the main issue I encountered being ejection of an unfired Stinger-type round from the tighter target chambers. Not sure if anything has changed, the manual I remember this from is probably from 2020 or so.

ETA: just pulled the latest off the Ruger website, the Stinger warning specifically only applies to "Target" and "Tactical" models. Right at the top of the page above the warning box.

Ah. I missed the part about the Target/Tactical models. Thanks. :) I'll probably still only use the Stingers in other guns tho, just to get rid of them. Got plenty of 40grn.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
A guy at the range had some in an old vintage bolt action rifle and couldn't hit a pie plate at 50 yds. He was really dejected and ready to leave thinking his gun was bad. I gave him some of my bulk pack Federals and he started to 'drill baby drill '…… After seeing how temperamental the CCi's were…. Both He and I swore them off

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
My LCP II Lite Rack has trouble getting the extended cases of the Stingers (or Federal Punch) out of the gun. Not TOO much of a problem in any of my other Rugers (just an occasional hiccup if you hit an underpowered round). Still, I stay away from them. I prefer Mini-Mags or Blazers. I have found them much more reliable and accurate in my Rugers. I also like the much-maligned Remington Golden Bullets for the same reason.

I love the Stingers. :love:

Originally, the Stingers were were marketed to be compatible in any .22 LR firearm. We know there are some shorter chambers aka match chambers, that the longer Stinger case may not fully chamber. That would be problematic. A carbon ring in the chamber ahead of a LR cartridge could also hinder full chambering of a Stinger. But so could a standard .22LR cartridge after a carbon build up in a chamber that's only seen .22 short cartridges. Such a ring is easily cleaned out.

I will continue to use Stingers in appropriate chambers and I will continue to experience good results. To this day, when I experience a .22 pistol with function problems, I still often use Stingers or other Hyper Velocity rounds to help wring out the problems. I do insert a Stinger into the chamber, making sure the chamber is cut long enough for Stingers.

And, there are also other .22 Hyper Velocity cartridges by other manufacturers, with similar ballistics, but with a standard length case. I am pleased with them, too.

For the folks who proclaim Stingers to be "garbage", that is not my opinion. Just like with many other brands of ammo, some work better than others in some firearms. Using Stingers for varmint control at extended .22 rimfire distances, I've found them to be very effective.

. :cool:

Last edited:
A guy at the range had some in an old vintage bolt action rifle and couldn't hit a pie plate at 50 yds. He was really dejected and ready to leave thinking his gun was bad. I gave him some of my bulk pack Federals and he started to 'drill baby drill '…… After seeing how temperamental the CCi's were…. Both He and I swore them off
Years back I did a bunch of test firing with Stingers. Most of my flock of 10-22's are zeroed at 70 yards with American Eagle 38gr HP (still have cases of it). The stingers were consistently 1-2" high at 70 yards but also 1/2 to 1" right or left but certainly not "shotgun patterned". Being high at a 70 yard zero also allowed me to drill some critters at 100 yards without having to hold up on them. You just have to remember which magazine has regular and which has stingers and use them at the right time for those shots that are just a bit of a stretch.

If you have ever wondered why a guy would need more than 1 10-22, check out the video below. When one gets to filthy to function, you simply put it away and grab another. Daylight was meant for shooting not cleaning guns. And yes, some days the shooting is as good as this video looks. 500-1000 kills per man, per day used to be the norm. Now days it is tough to get on property and due to poisoning the populations have been severely depleted---good for farmers but bad for shooters.

Last edited:

9x19

Hunter
'Match" chambers can be an issue with the Stinger's longer case, but I've not personally come across a factory Ruger 10/22 barrel with a tight enough chamber to make me avoid them. I'm sure those exist, I've just never encountered one. I do have a Kidd barrel and a Tactical Solutions barrel that are too tight to pass my simple test, so I don't use Stingers in either of those.

My simple test: With a clean barrel, lock the bolt back and drop a Stinger into the chamber by hand. If it stops short, the longer case could be engaging the rifling and could cause an issue. If it drops in all the way, you should be good to go.