Question for the 870 pros out there

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I have a flexi tab carrier, but wondering if there any benefit to also contouring the slide as in guns previous to the flexi-tab.

I am building a 870 from the ground up using a receiver/action and am wondering if cutting the radius in the slide to overcome the "shell jamb" typical in 870 guns is needed at all for a flexi-tab gun. Not 100% sure if it would provide "added" protection or would be counterproductive.

Thanks for any knowledge you can give....it is a pretty hardcore/obscure question that I haven't been able to find a straight answer...only someone who as worked a lot of these guns would know.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Though I've put something over a hundred thousand rounds thru 870s, and am fairly familiar w/ their inner workings, my "working knowledge" was gained before the flexi-tab was developed, so I can't offer anything about it first hand.

However, if you don't come up w/ anything here, you may be interested in checking out whether it's worth spending a few bucks on a "course" such as the one offered by Bob Dunlap at http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=42

Good luck!

Rick C

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Thanks Rick....That video is exactly why I brought up the question. Dunlap actually chamfers the slide to avoid 870 lockup on pre-flextab guns in the "fighting shotgun" video.

Got to thinking that if this was done also with flexitab guns it should make things that much easier if I happen to not feed the shell in all the way and get things stuck....have done it a time or two.

I am thinking that if the flexi tab works just fine if I force the condition I will not worry about chamfering the slide.

Thanks for the heads up. I have seen many of those AGI videos....Love the history and comments of Dunlap and the crew.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
flex tab on an 870, shell jam, ON AN 870. Mine is a 1974, no stinking flex tabs, and no shell jams.

Oh for the utter vile untruths, woe is me. Actually, hurrah for me. I dont have etither of those problems.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The Happy Kaboomer":1c9m5oz4 said:
I have an 870. What in the heck is flexitab???????

If the cartridge doesn't go into the tube properly when loading it can slip off of both of the stops and lock up the gun to the point of making the gun 100% useless.

The flexi-tab is a serration in the carrier that allows it to flex enough to where the jammed shell rim can slip over the bolt and go back into battery. It is enough of a problem where Remington sells retrofit kits, and actually marketed them aggressively to police units when they arrived on the market.

Before flexi tab you could make a slight modification to the slide and it would effectively do the same as the flexitab, at the expense of a boogered shotshell rim - but it worked.

If you spend enough time shooting an 870 - this condition will happen. Usually when it is cold, you can't feel your fingers, and you accidently misfeed a shell in the tube is when you get a lockup. It happens to be when i am taking a non shooter to the sporting clays course and they are afraid to push the shells too hard while loading.

Actually spoke with a smith/armorer...can do the mod, but really isn't needed for the flexitab guns.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Are you talking about the square "C" shaped cut in the lifter? I had this problem happen with a winchester 1300 but not yet with the 870's and I've owned 3 over the years. With the Winchester I just removed the magazine cap, spring and follower plug and dumped everything out the front of the magazine tube.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The Happy Kaboomer":25ybfhy0 said:
Are you talking about the square "C" shaped cut in the lifter? I had this problem happen with a winchester 1300 but not yet with the 870's and I've owned 3 over the years. With the Winchester I just removed the magazine cap, spring and follower plug and dumped everything out the front of the magazine tube.

Yes....that is it

If your gun has this then it is a flexitab 870