Question for RSM experts.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I believe from research I have done that Ruger started out making the RSM with a front sling mount on a barrel band that went through the stock forend. Later, the front sling swivel mount barrel band was moved in front of the stock, and I believe the barrel contour was also changed at that time. I have an RSM that is configured somewhat differently.

I have a SN 780-08XXX .416 Rigby RSM, model 07807, that should date to about 1990 based upon Ruger's website. This gun is like new, and has a very heavy barrel. The front sling swivel barrel band is on the barrel in front of the stock, and oddly is placed right over the "Southport Conn." address line. There is also a barrel band inletted into the stock but there is no front sling mount stud in the stock, just the two screws in brass escutcheons. I looking at RSM images on the internet, I have seen two RSM rifles for sale in the past that have this configuration. While partially covering up the address line with the barrel band makes me wonder about some after factory modification to the gun, the addition of such a barrel band would require also removing the front sight barrel band as well as removing the front sling mount from the forend. I have looked the gun over as carefully as I can (but have not pulled the stock off), and I can see no indications that any such work was performed — everything looks virtually ANIB.

Does anyone know whether the RSM was sold as described above, perhaps as a transition before the later version with the different barrel contour, barrel band and stock was created?

egl52

Single-Sixer
I have seen at least one other in the configuration you describe. Ruger must have learned quickly that the proper place for a sling stud is on the barrel in a heavy-recoiling rifle. I think your last question contains the truth. Your rifle must have been made during a transition before the later version with the different barrel contour, barrel band, and stock was created. 1990 would have been right in that time frame.

Sugar River

Buckeye
I have to disagree. Have 3 RSMs in 416 Rigby.
Two (consecutive nos) with the original 24" heavy bbl, stud on forearm, acquired in Aug '93.
The third is the later 23" lighter bbl with barrel band stud I got used in Sep '04.
All three have 750 prefix s/n's.
I don't remember precisely when the change over was made but I believe it was around '99.

I suspect the OP's rifle was a cleanup, made some time after the change over using left over barrels.