Question for our holster makers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about trying to carry my 3" S&W 624 concealed. This is a big ol' 6 shot N frame round butt, weighing in at 37 ounces unloaded. I need some leather for it. Not interested in Kydex, thanks.

I've been looking around at various holster maker's offerings and haven't found anything that really jumps out at me. There are certain features I want, but nobody seems to pull them together into one holster that I see as my ideal.

Most of my semi auto holsters are IWB, but I don't think that's going to work with the big N frame cylinder. I'm thinking I want a high ride OWB to keep the muzzle from sticking out under my cover vest. Probably a covered muzzle, just in case the vest rides up and the bottom of the gun peeks out.

I'm thinking that having a hammer shroud to protect my cover garment would be nice. This feature can be seen on a Milt Sparks 200AW, and is sort of like a sweat shield on the outside of the holster. I'm also thinking that a retention strap my be useful, considering the weight distribution of the gun (somewhat butt heavy). It might be possible to combine the hammer shroud "function" with a thumb strap...

Finally, having removable/changeable loops to be able to wear it IWB in a pinch might be nice. I'm not sure this would be a requirement, because again I don't know that carrying something so thick IWB is viable.

So, given all this, my question is: Can any of our resident holster makers build me exactly what I want? Alternately, does anyone know of a production holster that I should be looking at? El Paso's Sky Six is up on my list, as is the Fist #14, though neither are exactly right. The 200AW mentioned above is a contender, but I really don't want to wait 6+ months for a holster. Also, that one is offered more as a "range/field" holster, downplaying the concealment angle, due to its heavy construction.

Any help would be appreciated. I've looked at dozens of holster makers over the years, and own everything from the Andrews Custom stuff to Don Hume. I think I even have some Uncle Mikes stuff kicking around. This one is proving a tough nut to crack.

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

P.S. I'll probably also need a speedloader holder that'll work with a HKS M-29 loader. I was appalled when I found they want $22 for a stupid Uncle Mikes nylon unit. Last time I bought one of those I swear it was under $10, like it should be. $20+ for a folded piece of nylon with some Velcro stuck to it. I tell ya... grumble, grumble...

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
If you look in the "Gear Ready To Go" section at Simply Rugged, there's a really cool carved holster and ammo pouch there that's specifically for your gun model.

ETA: Rob can add the inside/out loops to this holster if you want them. He also makes speed-loader holders as well. I think Simply Rugged is the forums favorite holster maker. Rob's also a forum member as well.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
^^ Forgot to mention, I'm looking at Simply Rugged, too.

While I like the look of that "Celtic Pancake", I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that kind of money. You pay a lot for fancy carving.

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
eric conrad":1j25zfxk said:
Sam, how about our own country boy or reuben j cogburn? They have a post in the auction section. Good luck.
Eric
I checked his stuff out, and while it's very nice, he doesn't really have any concealment holsters for revolvers. Assuming I'm navigating the site correctly...

Buckeye!":1j25zfxk said:
http://www.shado.com/vmchk/Concealed-Holsters/View-all-products.html

nice outfit to deal with.
You know? My first holster was a Shado Sable. The leather was a little thick, and I've had better finished leather, but for the price they are hard to beat. Pretty good designs, too. Thanks for the reminder.

-- Sam

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
I've purchased a few of there products through the years...always good people to deal with..and they sell good quality holsters at wonderful prices.