Question for Flatgate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bkat

Blackhawk
In an earlier post on how to avoid a cylinder line on OM Bearcats, you said to never let the hammer down to "at rest" from full cock. Is "at rest" the same as the "safety cock" (somewhat misnamed) or the first cock position on OMs?

Thanks for your help!
Bkat

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think you misunderstood my post.......
The "Rule of Thumb" on any "Old Model" Ruger or Colt or Colt Clone, etc. is to NEVER lower the hammer down from the "half cock" or "loading" position. Always pull the hammer to full cock, from half cock, when you are done loading or unloading the "old style" Single Actions.

Following this rule will prevent the cylinder ring.

"At Rest" is the position the hammer is in when the cartridge has been fired or when the hammer is lowered over that empty chamber WE ALL use when carrying loaded "Old Style" Single Actions (and some "new fangled models, too!)

JMHO,

flatgate

PS One more rule prevents the dreaded "bullet in the foot/leg/friend, etc."

Load one chamber, roll the cylinder to the next, skip it, roll to the next then load one, go to the next, load one, go to the next and load one, go to the next and load one then pull the hammer to full cock then gently lower it down over that "empty" chamber you skipped.
Load one, skip one, load four, cock the hammer then gently lower it down over that empty chamber.

A rule to ALWAYS follow. Period.

Safety First!

flatgate

Bkat

Blackhawk
Flatgate, I went back and read your original post, and it said NEVER LOWER THE HAMMER THE AT REST POSITION FROM FULL COCK. I assume you meant to say "from half cock"? Sorry for my confusion.

Bkat

tek4260

Buckeye
I had a friend in elementary school who's dad was killed by not following that rule. Chopping firewood at camp and bent over to pick it up and the OM 44 fell out of the shoulder holster as he bent over.