question for all you guys

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Hello everyone! I am kinda new to the forum. I own a ruger mark III comp target model pistol. I currently have a 2x scope mounted on it. I was at the range yesterday shooting at 25 yards. I was shooting at a 1" bulls eye. I have noticed the bulls eye is very hard to see even with my 2x scope at that range. I can keep 3-6 shots out of 10 in the bulls eye but I am having to really try at that. Also iam shooting front bench rest. I was thinking about buying a busnell trophy 2-6x32 pistol scope and geting rid of my 2x scope. Do you think I will get better results with a more powerful scope? I think I would but I want all of your opinions.

wwb

Hunter
At 25 yards, 2X is all the magnification you need. Going to a more powerful scope won't help.

A couple hours with a qualified bullseye pistol instructor would make a difference. In lieu of an on-site instructor, download the following, print it, read it, and live it.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapterf.htm

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
wwb":2m58jpc4 said:
At 25 yards, 2X is all the magnification you need. Going to a more powerful scope won't help.

A couple hours with a qualified bullseye pistol instructor would make a difference. In lieu of an on-site instructor, download the following, print it, read it, and live it.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/chapterf.htm

Thank you! Here is a picture of 2 targets I shot at yesterday. Both are 25 yards with cci standard velocity target loads 10 shots each.

DSC00061.jpg

wwb":pzze6fx5 said:

I agree, you did NOT mention what brand type,load of ammo you are using, this too will also help you to improve...the rest is all "pracice, practice, practice....." improve and exercise to build up your grip too.......takes time :wink:

Here's a hint, or at least a different direction.

think about taking the scope off and using the iron sights...

the problem with a scope is you think you are supposed to be able to clearly see the idi-bity target...

in contrast:
with Iron sights you are not... you are supposed to focus on the front sight and the target is actually supposed to be out of focus.

for real here now: that's fine shooting with an MKIII at 75ft, don't fret it.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
It appears that you are using a 100 yard rifle target (hence the 1" bull). Try a target with a 3" bull -- or even larger -- up to 6". If you can't see your aiming point clearly you'll never have groups as good as they could be.

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
Larry from Bend":2yr5awi4 said:
It appears that you are using a 100 yard rifle target (hence the 1" bull). Try a target with a 3" bull -- or even larger -- up to 6". If you can't see your aiming point clearly you'll never have groups as good as they could be.

Thats a good point! Thank you. I will try a larger bullseye at the range the next time I shoot.

Lance

mattsbox99

Hunter
Bullseye shooters use a 6" target at 50 feet, download and print some bullseye targets. I practice at 25 yards on them and my scores have improved quite a bit.