Question about semi-auto (Not a Ruger)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Does anyone here have experience with Desert Eagles? Specifically, the .50AE flavor variety?

It's a MK XIX (19?)

I'm possibly trading a S&W Performance Center .44 mag for it. All my ammo, dies, loads, data etc. Are for 44.

I also shoot .44 in my super Blackhawk Hunter.

Very interested in this trade.

I like the Smith but it gets criticized ALL the time for it's semi-tapered barrel lug. lol

I've wanted a desert eagle for years! Finally a chance! AND a .50 at that...

Anything I should be aware of? Look for? Thanks RF family!

Also how hard is it to convert to .44?

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have shot a Desert Eagle 50AE quite a bit.
It has a pretty good kick.
To tell the truth after a magazine or two it isn't much fun.
I have also had the empty case hit me in the forehead a few times and cut me pretty good.

For something just to shoot once in awhile it would probably be fun.
If you want to shoot it a lot , it might not be that much fun.

I personally do not think it would be a good choice for protection because the kick makes it much harder to get back on target than a .44 magnum does.
Did I mention it kicks pretty good.

See if you can shoot it first then make up your mind.
Personally I would keep the Smith and Wesson.
It might be OK for awhile but I believe you will eventually regret trading.

Well this desert eagle is NICE. Looks like brand new. In better overall condition than my Smith. The slide is still very tight. Owner had 11 rounds fired through it total.

It's the solid black model. It included box and everything they come with new. Importantly, 6x 20 round boxes of 300gr. JHP ammo!!!

I'm happy, he's happy, and we each got the gun we spent years looking for.

I'll have some pics up soon.

IMAG0279_zpsnyxbm9k5.jpg

Smee781

Single-Sixer
That is an interesting trade, I have a 44 Desert Eagle and it is a neat piece. I guess if yall are both happy than thats what matters.Congrats.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I've shot a friend's 50AE quite a bit, and I feel it recoils less than a S&W 629 with a five inch barrel. Accuracy was also something to behold; benched and scoped, the gun would regularly cut out a sub-one-inch cloverleaf at 50 yards with his handloads. If my fingers weren't so stubby, I'd own one, but the dang grip circumference is just too much for the gun to feel comfortable and secure in my hand. As to converting to 44, I believe all that is necessary is a barrel and magazine...the bolt is the same for both cartridges (the 50 uses a rebated rim that is the same diameter as the 44 Mag's).

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Likewise , I found the .50DE recoil to be not bad , ie similar or less than many .44Mag. Keep in mind the compaaritive weights.

Downsides ? Size. The gun in general , and the grip circumfrence. I haave XXXL hands , while the DE still feels big to me , I can shoot it off hand, one hand , which its more normal sized owner can't.

Ammo. If you are going to shoot it more than one round each to impress your friends , handloading is a necessity for both $ and availability.

I finally shot this monster the other day. The recoil wasn't too bad. Of course I enjoy my big bore revolvers.

I still have the target. I only put 10 rounds through it, 5 rounds in 2 of the 3 magazines.

Accuracy is pretty good at 15 - 20 yards. Gun is reliable and fed the rounds correctly.

It's a good gun, but probably too impractical for my needs. I may sell it on the CHEAP$ simply considering I don't have much $$$ into it to start with. Of course, I'm in no hurry to. Lol

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
"I have also had the empty case hit me in the forehead a few times and cut me pretty good."

Me too, had one draw blood- leaving a perfect semi-circle right in the middle of my forehead. At 25yds, mine was 4" high & 3" right, very annnoying. Not exactly a bench/target shooting gun.