Question about Security Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mlsa

Bearcat
Hello Everybody

Just joined the forum and posted an intro in the newbies forum. Being a lover of Ruger handguns(owned a couple of Blackhawks and Single Six's), I'm looking for another 357. This time I want a double action.

I've visited several shops and pawn shops and they are not very easy to find right now. Today I found a Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrell(I wanted a 4"). It's blued with original grips. The gun looks well taken care of. Everything feels tight on it like it's brand new and the blueing looks good on it.

They want $350 for it. Does this sound reasonable? (It's been years since I've bought a gun so I'm out of touch on prices). Is there anything I should check on it if I decide to buy it?

The girl behind the counter didn't know squat about it. She didn't even check it for being loaded before she handed it to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

David

mattsbox99

Hunter
Thats a average price for a good Security Six. They are very solid handguns, I prefer the GP100 as the small grip on the SS makes heavy 357s a bit more difficult to shoot. The big Hogue grip is a nice addition that will easily soak up recoil from any load.

I paid $200 for my well used SS blue/6" in February.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
mlsa":1djxakhe said:
Hello Everybody

Just joined the forum and posted an intro in the newbies forum. Being a lover of Ruger handguns(owned a couple of Blackhawks and Single Six's), I'm looking for another 357. This time I want a double action.

I've visited several shops and pawn shops and they are not very easy to find right now. Today I found a Ruger Security Six with a 6" barrell(I wanted a 4"). It's blued with original grips. The gun looks well taken care of. Everything feels tight on it like it's brand new and the blueing looks good on it.

They want $350 for it. Does this sound reasonable? (It's been years since I've bought a gun so I'm out of touch on prices). Is there anything I should check on it if I decide to buy it?

The girl behind the counter didn't know squat about it. She didn't even check it for being loaded before she handed it to me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Back in December 2008 I bought a Police Service Six for $350.00 at my local gun shop in San Diego, CA. I see them on gunbroker and other online auctions for $300 to $450. If the revolver is in good shape I would buy it. I have not regretted a day owning my Police Service Six. I have K frame Smith and Wesson 357 and believe me the Service Six is stronger and will hold up better firing 357 magnum loads. Really, the only stronger revolver in the medium frame size would be the GP100. But it is heavier and it depends on the shooter it he or she likes the heavier revolver.

Good luck!

David

Hugh

Buckeye
Don't know where you are, but it sounds like an alright price. I'd buy it. I've been happy with my 4" Security Six for 36 years. I do have other Ruger revolvers, and look forward to getting another Security Six to join them.

epj

Bearcat
That's an ok price if in real nice shape. I bought one that looked a little rough a year or so ago for $150 OTD from a pawnshop. I spent $17 on a new rear sight, about the same for some aftermarket target stocks, and about $10 on a spring kit. Had it at the range today shooting plates. I did better with it than with my GP100, a Smith M19-2. or my Smith 686+. In fairness to the other three, I shot the SS last, so I had a bit of practice under my belt.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
Hold out for the 4 inch if that is what you really want. Might watch Gunbroker and Auctionarms for a while for one.
There are usually several of them offered on the auction sites - just don't jump on the first one, but take a month or so to shop for a good deal. Many are overpriced, but every once in a while a deal is right, if you aren't in a hurry.
I search these sites at least once a week, and put anything of interest on my "watch" list. Needless to say, I "watch" many more items than I actually buy!

Myron

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
I paid $249 + tax for a lightly used Stainless 4" Security Six at a semi-local gun shop (about 30 miles away) that I have made several purchases from over the years. However, I don't think that was a frequent customer price. To the best of my memory, they did not budge much at all on it. Which I thought that it was a very good deal at the time. It sounds like I should be really happy. :)

Three50seven

Buckeye
Welcome to the forum!

I paid $260 for my blue 4" a couple years ago. It all depends on where your located and the current market really. All handguns have come up in price over the last year, so $350 for a really nice 6" is probably about right. I don't know what your planning to use it for, I use mine for ccw, but the 6" may be a even more difficult to conceal. If you really want a 4", wait, they're around. :wink:

OysterMan

Bearcat
I recently inherited a "like new" 4" Security Six from a friends gun collection. It had a receipt showing it purchased in 1983 for $209 (serial# indicated it was mfg in '81). It's pretty obvious this was a safe queen.

Mickey D

Single-Sixer
4" heavy barrel stainless Security Six I bouhgt new in 2/83 for $270.50
Been a great gun.

RugerSS-2.jpg

With Pachies
SecuritySixLH.jpg

oldyeller

Single-Sixer
OK the guys are right on gunbroker.com they go from 300 to 400 but you have to add thier shipping and you need it shipped thru a ffl dealer. ffl typically run from 15 to 25 so figure out what you want to pay add ship and find out before hand who will xfer it in your area I think gunbroker.com has a list of dealers in your area. when you buy a sec six pay attention to the prefix when they changed to 151-xxxxx they changed the grip frame making it a little harder to find grips but also the speed six and service six's have the same grip frame as the newer sec six so if you want one of those you can x fer your hogue or pachmyer grips from one to the other.whew.Montana Mike.