Question about Ruger P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brianr34

Bearcat
I purchased a new Ruger P95 (first firearm) two months ago. I have not had any failures shooting the gun.

I do have a question about the slide looseness. When the hammer is cocked, I noticed that the slide has some slight movement. The movement is less than 1mm, but it feels like the gun is "loose".

I had my dealer check it out, and he said it was normal. I wanted to get a second opinion on this forum. Is it normal for the slide to have some movement when the hammer is cocked?

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
Mine is fairly new. Only about 300 rds thru. I had a look at it. All the contact points look new still, and there is the slightest bit of movement. Seems normal to me. You don't want it completely tight, or it won't "slide" properly i suspect.

michael hacker

Bearcat
My P95 is just slightly movable when racked and cocked, might have something to do with the slide riding on poly slide rails. My SR9 is nice and tight, but racks easy, likely due to the steel rails that the slide rides on. Just a guess, cause I certainly can't claim to know for sure.

-Michael
www.michaelhacker.com

GhosT

Blackhawk
brianr34,

I get the question....
But you said...
" I purchased a new Ruger P95 (first firearm) two months ago. I have not had any failures shooting the gun."

Why worry?

brianr34

Bearcat
Thanks for the feedback. Even though I did not have a failure, I was concerned that the looseness was abnormal. I bought the P95 as my first gun, because I felt more comfortable with the hammer style. The SR9 sure does look and feel nice.

fez

Bearcat
Loose is good.Usually less problems.Tighter guns take more break.With semi autos custom made target pistols are made to very tight tolerences for better accuracy.For self defense it is reliability that is foremost.You are not trying to shoot the eye of a fly out at 100 yards.Just passing on what match shooter told me some years ago.

Latest posts