Question about Ruger MKIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LightningMan

Bearcat
Hello, I have a Ruger MKIII Hunter and want to know if it is ok to dry-fire? Or will that damage the gun by doing so? Thanks in advance, LM.

Is just fine, there is a little thingy on the bolt that makes it okay. I still would not do it hundreds or thousands of times... but the manual says it's okay.

I've always wondered why it's not okay to dry fire a center fire gun... the firing pin is just hitting 'air'. As in contrast, with a rim fire gun the firing pin is hitting the side of the chamber and this obviously will cause a problem eventually.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
blume357":21ry7boz said:
As in contrast, with a rim fire gun the firing pin is hitting the side of the chamber and this obviously will cause a problem eventually.
Blume ... The MKIII "firing pin stop" in the bolt assembley acually prevents the firing pin from striking the edge of the chamber.

blume357":21ry7boz said:
I've always wondered why it's not okay to dry fire a center fire gun... the firing pin is just hitting 'air'.
Blume ... According to Ruger, all of their center fire pistols and revolvers can be dry fired without damage. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... &cat=7#Q55

Latest posts