Question about Redhawk Reliability v/s Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I have read that the Redhawk has potential for light primer strikes. This has caused me to consider the Blackhawk over it as a self defense weapon against animals (I live in northern Alaska). I've always liked the ability to fire a weapon just by pulling the trigger, which is one reason that I favor the RH. However, I want the weapon to be absolutely reliable, hence my concern about the RH. I do have experience with an old model Vaquero and with a Ruger Old Army. So I know how to work a SA revolver. I am pretty good with an SA revolver, but can still imagine situations where a DA revolver would be handier (charging animal).

I realize the Super Redhawk does not have this issue. However the Super is just too heavy. The so called Alaskan model is just too short on barrel. I want at least 4" of barrel (but no more than 5.5"). As such I do not want a Super Redhawk.

My question is, is the concern over the mechanics of the Redhawk real or internet rumor? And if they are real, are they so great as to pose a health hazard.

maxpress

Buckeye
people start "fussin" with thier guns replacing or bending springs then when it dosnt work they whine that its a peice of junk.
kinda like harley owners thinking they know better than the engineers at harley and replacing pipes and cams then complaining that there bikes always in the shop.

maxpress

Buckeye
well that was a bit of a rant. anyway, no i have never heard or seen a redhawk with LHS in its factory condition or with a trigger job by a good smith. i have seen dud ammo come out of one but the primer was dented enough to make good ammo pop.

Knuckles

Buckeye
The Redhawk hammer must be flush to the frame when it falls... if you are not getting good firing-pin extension either file the corners of the hammer for a flush fit (if that's where it's catching) or just dry-fire the heck out of it... that's the only out of the box issue I have ever heard talk of on Factory Redhawks.

Originally, Ruger had to take care of barrels backing out but that was nipped in the bud long-long ago.

Now if you monkey with the hammer/trigger spring... well' you can't blame the gun for that. I'd Just clean it and look over the workings real good no matter what revolver you get before you head out into the bush.

I dry-fire all of my new Ruger revolvers, you should smooth off the sharp edges so they don't bite ya... and you will have one of the best "Bear Guns" available on the market today.

Here's some confidence for you.
Bud (knuckles)

RH45w002-1.jpg