Question about purchasing a FA revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Folks,
Long time reader here, not so many posts. Love my rugers. However, i have decided i want to save up and purchase a FA model 83 in .44. Its gonna take a while to save that amount of money. But, i know it is the peak of the pyramid and will be an heirloom some day. I have a few questions i hope someone could help me with:
1. The FA site has a list of preferred dealers, but none in Florida. Do I have to go to another state to order one of these? Or, can i have my local gun shop order one for me?
2 Im interested in a field grade 83 short barrel .44. Do i really only get crappy rubber grips on this gun, or can i have them put the premier grade laminate grips on the field grade gun for me. Of course, i will pay for them.
3.Is this gun physically bigger than my NM Blackhawk .357? I have a couple of holsters for my Blackhawk i would like to be able to use for the 83.
4. Finally, am i in the ballpark expecting to pay 1500 for this gun new?

Thanks for your help
Rick

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I own a FA model 97 in .45 Colt which I bought last year. I'll answer as best I can.

1) Don't know. I bought my gun from a dealer on GunBroker that had them in stock. Otherwise it is an "order from FA and wait" situation. Some of their preferred dealers may be stocking dealers, but then (as in my case), you're stuck with whatever they have in stock. Ordering one will take 12-15 weeks, if memory serves. Regardless of where it comes from it will need to be shipped to a local dealer for pickup, of course.

2) If you go the "order from FA" route, you'll be able to specify options on your gun, such as the grips you want. These will, of course, jack the price up. The "impregnated hardwood" grips add $110 to the price.

3) Honestly, I don't know this either. My 97 is actually quite a bit smaller than a BH, more like a Single Six frame size. It's a 5 shot gun, remember. The grip is also considerably smaller than a Bisley, but "different" than a plow handle, too. It's almost too small for me. From discussions with others, the 83 is a bit more "Ruger Bisley" sized, but doesn't quite feel like a Bisley, either.

4) If you are able to get one from a stocking dealer you might be able to get it for that price. If you order from FA, you will pay the price on the website ($1870 + $110 for your grips). You will also want to order it with the "trigger job" option. That's right, you get to pay an extra $100 to get a 3lb trigger on your $2000 gun, otherwise it's closer to 5lbs. But creep free, of course.

Finally, I have found that .44 Mag 83s are hard to find. If you were looking for a Field Grade .454 you'd be able to find them all day on GunBroker for $1200-1500 or so (used), somewhat more new. That is to say that you may find it difficult to find a dealer who stocks the .44, and you may have to order it directly from FA in any case. They will then ship to your local dealer for delivery. (Also, I think it points out that a lot of guys go out and buy a Field Grade .454, take a couple of shots, and realize it's too much gun for 99% of shooters...)

FWIW, I paid just under $1700 for my 97 (list is $1891) from a stocking dealer. I then sent it back to FA for a trigger job. You don't want to know how much it cost to ship it (both ways on me); Let's just say you would probably be better off ordering it direct from FA exactly the way you want it.

-- Sam

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
BTW, if you get your gun from a dealer, then go to FA to buy grips for it, they will consider this an "upgrade to an existing gun" rather than an "option on a new gun", and will charge you $225 for the grips ($305 for ivory micarta).

"Nickel and diming the consumer" takes on a new dimension when it's hundreds of bucks at a shot...

-- Sam

flatgate

Hawkeye
Tincup Sports
PO Box 110
Freedom ID. 83120
208-873-2632

Wayne Baker, founding member of Freedom Arms. His sons run the Factory.
If he doesn't have what you need he can place a "rush" order.

And, Freedom Arms will accept an order from any "local gun shop". Use a Money Order or Cashier's Cheque so there's no waiting for a cheque to clear.

The "small bore" .44 mag. is a pussycat to shoot and do they ever shoot good. Same basic gun as the .454's (and .475 and .500 W.E.) but with smaller holes in the cylinder and barrel which makes them a bit heavier.

I use the same holsters for my FA's and my large framed Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks.

Field Grade guns show wear and tear and can't be "touched up" at home. A scotch brite scouring pad has kept my Premier Grade .454 looking NEW for over 20 years.

flatgate

son of SAC.... :D i.e. I lived on a SAC base for 12 years.....

CPeterJr

Bearcat
I've had my 97 in .45LC with a .45 ACP extra cylinder for more than a year. Also got my name engraved on the grip. Trigger pull is 4.4 pounds, and crisp, crisp.Fellow gun people who have looked at it to a man agree it's the best-made handgun in America. I agree, too. Looks good, feels good.

I was less than enthralled with the head man's response to a problem I had. I was shooting .45LC factory ammo and the cylinder locked up. Had to get a gunsmith to free it. It turned out that some of my factory ammunition was just a mite too long and would bind it up. I called FA and explained to the boss my problem. He said, "Everybody knows the 97 won't handle the ammunition in either power or length of the 83." I replied with, "Well, I'm not 'everyone'. There's absolutely nothing in your catalog about this or on your Internet site. Also, I get almost all the gun magazines, and there's never been a mention of this. So, how does 'everyone' learn about the 97's limitations?" He then basically repeated what he's told me about "everyone".

Bottom line: Wonderful revolver. what exactly the gun can and can't do isn't provided—buyer beware applies to the 97. I don't know about the 83..

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
CPeterJr":1vuu073x said:
It turned out that some of my factory ammunition was just a mite too long and would bind it up.
Bottom line: Wonderful revolver. what exactly the gun can and can't do isn't provided—buyer beware applies to the 97. I don't know about the 83..

I visited their factory years ago and ended up with the 97 in .45LC, extra cylinder, and a bunch of custom features. As you found out, you can't depend on factory ammo to fit. It can be a hassle; better try your ammo in the cylinder before you leave the house. You might just as well realize that you'll have to reload for it in order to be happy. The chambers are tight also, (a good thing) so be careful about your reloads. There may be some custom folks out there who load cartridges that you can buy, but reloading is fun anyway.
One nice cure: Beartooth has 255 and 300 grain bullets that are advertised on their bullet selection chart as being able to be used in the FA 97. Beartooth has good bullets.
Here's a link for them.
http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

As Yosemite Sam said..."My 97 is actually quite a bit smaller than a BH, more like a Single Six frame size."
I find the grip is also too small for my hand. And, of course, I turned down the 83 as I found it a bit too large...so there you are. It is an excellent gun, without a doubt the finest production revolver made in the U.S. and it is a fine piece of craftmanship. Nevertheless, I'm happier with some of my other cheaper and "sloppier" guns with longer cylinders. I like my 325gr and 350gr bullets occasionally.
Sonnytoo

Zeus

Blackhawk
I will say this...you will have really try in order to not get along with Bob Baker at FA. The 97 cylinder is MUCH shorter than the 83 and therefore the owner has to limit the OAL of the cartridges that are placed in it. They make phenomenal guns and stand behind them 100%. I would have to agree with the statement that pretty much everyone that buys a 97 is aware of the limitations due to its extremely small size. Load it to the right length for the cylinder and you won't find a better handgun.

As to the 44, go for it, its a dream to shoot and super accurate. There is usually I think about a $140 or so upcharge for the micarta stocks over the Pacmayer or something like that. Its on the website on the section that is applying to newly ordered guns. Its cheaper to do it when you order it of course than it is to do it after the fact, especially when you factor in the shipping to and from....

From the website...

GRIP OPTION
Ebony Micarta in place of standard grip
Premier Grade Model 83 & 97
$39.00
Ebony Micarta in addition to standard grip
Premier Grade Model 83 & 97
$181.00
Field Grade Model 83
$175.00
(includes model 83-22)
Impregnated Hardwood in place of standard grip
Field Grade Model 83
$110.00
Impregnated Hardwood in addition to standard grip
Field Grade Model 83
(includes Model 83-22)
$140.00
Rounded Grip Butt and Grip Frame
Models 83 & 97
$175.00

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Not being able to use factory ammo in this gun would be a real turnoff for me. Please tell me the model 83 .44 can use factory loads. I guess i am nieve, but if i bought a $2k .45LC revolver, it wouldn't occur to me that i couldn't use factory ammo. Would upset me alot to find this out after the purchase. Im sure there is some reason for this that is beyond me.
Rick

Zeus

Blackhawk
The 44 will handle all factory ammo that I can think of. Its the same size as the 454 Casull cylinder and frame size...GS

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The issue with the 97 is that it won't accept anything over the standard SAAMI length of 1.600". It works fine with my 255gr LSWC. The problem is people think "Freedom Arms" and want to put 350gr T-Rex killers in it. You can't do that with the model 97. If you want to shoot those kinds of rounds you need a model 83 with the .45 Colt cylinder, which is considerably longer. Problem is, most people want a .454 in their 83, so now you're looking at an extra $300 for a second cylinder.

There is no problem with any reasonably length ammo in the model 83 guns.

FWIW, here's some more info: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=11972.0

-- Sam

ra

Single-Sixer
When you go to Freedom Arms web site they say the Field Grade has the rubber grips, but when you open the Field Grade page it says they have "impregnated hardwood grips". The list price of a 44 FG is $1870, I don't know what you would pay at most dealers.
My advice, this is what I did, is to watch the gun auction sites and classified sections of shooting forums. There are not many 44's but you can find 454 PG and FG guns for around half the retail price.
I recently bought a 454 FG with wood grips that I would rate at 98%, the muzzle on the left side had a small polished streak where the holster had slicked up the matte finish, and the rear sight had some blue wear on the top edge. Other than that it looked new, it had been shot very little, and I paid 45% of retail, including shipping. Mine does not have the factory trigger job, but the trigger is still very good. Using my RCBS trigger scale I measured around a 3-3/4 lb. pull.

ra

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Thanks RA,
Good advice. I did notice that when you open the field grade page, they did list the wood impregnated grips. But, i thought it was just an error on the page. I am starting to lean toward the premier grade after what one of the earlier posters said about not being able to touch up the field grade yourself at home. I really want to be able to keep the gun looking new. If i cant do it with field grade, i will move up to premier. Once in a lifetime purchase for me. I dont need this gun, but i do want it. Thanks again.
Rick

Zeus

Blackhawk
You won't regret it, here is my 454 that got a new facelift last Fall from Bob and the others at FA. It shoots like a laser!

100_1965.jpg

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Zeus,
Beautiful pair. Love the Marlin too. Guide Gun 45-70? Just bought a 336SDT myself. Love it. Has everything i wanted. Straight laminate stock, stainless, short 16.5 barrel in 30-30. Cant wait to shoot it. Divide my time between Marlin site and Ruger site. They just fit together. Thanks.
PS saving your picture for my favorites, if you dont mind.
Rick

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I like the sight on that Marlin. What is it, if I may ask? I was thinking of putting a peep on my 336.

Funny thing, 336s and FAs, not to mention Rugers. Who'd've thunk?

-- Sam

P.S. I shoot hardcast in my .30/30, too. :D

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Sam,
Surprised i dont see you over at the Marlin forum. You would be a natural. You have given me lots of advice in the past. I appreciate it.
Rick

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
I think the 83 is a heavier/larger frame compared to the 97. In my mind, kind of lie a Blackhawk compared to the Vaquero. Also, i think the 97 has a transfer bar type safety for carrying slugs in all chambers. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Rick