question about older mini-14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robdijohn

Bearcat
Hello.
A national guard buddy of mine just bought an older mini-14 with a single shot selector switch??. It's shoots in normal semi-auto but if you want you can hit the switch and your in single shot mode I guess. it will eject and pick up the round but the bolt will stay open, you have to manually close it he said. It functions great both ways..

I'm assuming this was done by a gunsmith at some point, ruger wouldn't do this this at the factory, correct?

u7wBFPP.jpg

LLhlkP4.jpg

DGW1949

Hunter
It looks home made to me.
Interesting gizmo, at least what I can see of it.....Hows about a photo with it out of out the stock?

DGW

Kanook

Buckeye
That look exactly like a selector switch for a S&S conversion done before the May 86 cut off date.

robdijohn

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
It looks home made to me.
Interesting gizmo, at least what I can see of it.....Hows about a photo with it out of out the stock?

DGW

I will see if I can. thanks

Kanook

Buckeye
Never mind, It is a selector switch

When you take the receiver out of the stock there is a long skinny bar that should go all the way up to where the op rod rests in the closed position.

There should be a little piece of metal that it trips.

If it is only shooting Semi auto and hangs up in the Full position the lever is out of time.

If it is a legal conversion registered, FIND THE PAPERS FAST

If it's not registered, TURN IT IN FAST.

robdijohn

Bearcat
Kanook said:
Never mind, It is a selector switch

When you take the receiver out of the stock there is a long skinny bar that should go all the way up to where the op rod rests in the closed position.

There should be a little piece of metal that it trips.

If it is only shooting Semi auto and hangs up in the Full position the lever is out of time.

If it is a legal conversion registered, FIND THE PAPERS FAST

If it's not registered, TURN IT IN FAST.

Sorry if I didn't word it clearly but it doesn't shoot FULL AUTO. Just semi-auto like normal but can be fired in single-shot mode. Both modes shoot fine and he was just wondering if anybody has ever seen this type of setup before

Kanook

Buckeye
If the gun is in the registry and the papers are lost, with a Lawyer or a helpful agent it might be possible to retrieve the papers and have it registered in your friends name.

If it was not in the registry sadly, it is contraband and needs to be turned in or destroyed with pics for proof to the ATF even though they never knew about it. (they do now because of pics)

Your friend is out the money either way, try to see if was registered