Question about Army veteran who stopped the nightclub attack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

g5m

Single-Sixer
What I find odd is the information in the media about this individual. It stated that he is a former Army Major who served for 15 years. As a retired Army officer myself it struck me as odd that a soldier at the rank of Major would leave active duty with that many years of service rather than stay for a few more and become entitled to a pension and life long benefits as a retired officer. Then I thought that possibly this Major was medically retired, which would account for his less than 20 years of service, but news reports state he is a veteran, not a retiree. If in fact he was medically retired then his heroism is even greater since it would mean he took his action despite some significant limitation. Just wondering.
A know a man who left one of the armed services after 15-16 years and left as a major. This was on Clinton's watch. He had been deployed an average of 274 days a year and was, at the end, in charge of aircraft maintenance and they were being starved of parts to where aircraft were cannibalized to keep others in the air. He just got fed up and had Generals calling him and asking what was going on. So, it happens.

Fanner50

Bearcat
There are some very narrow minds here. The man was married with a wife and adult daughter. They went to the club to support a friend. My wife's work had a party at a gay nightclub on the night they were doing a drag queen show. It was fun, I enjoyed it. Wife and I even danced in one of the suspended cages, lol. It was an interesting experience. Some of you guys need to get out of your macho shells and live a little. I saw no "deviant behavior" at all. Actually everyone in the club was nice and polite. No One "hit" on me, lol and I'm still as "straight" as they come. We haven't been back, but it was an interesting experience and a fun night.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Families are encouraged to take their children to drag shows by schools and the media. It all a part of the planned destruction of America and Christianity.

JackBull

Single-Sixer
Try watching more conservative news to see the deviant behavior, with children. Or do an internet search.

dbracing

Bearcat
“Former Major” doesn’t say when he completed his 15 years of service. One of my classmates is a “former Major” who was caught up in one of the ill advised drawdowns of the military, and after being denied the promotion to Lt. Colonel, he retired with less than 20 years service. He told me that it is understood that after being passed over the third time for a scheduled promotion, retirement is the option.

This officer may have been caught in a drawdown during the Obama administration, which could make his children teens.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
It’s pulled from a speech by Theodore Roosevelt, our 26th president. I’ve pasted a fuller version here but you can Google "The Man in the Arena" whenever the mood strikes you.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

cab32

Bearcat
Great Quote by TR. Thank You.

During OIF the Army (or the USO) distributed several inspirational pamphlets to troops in the combat zone. This speech was one of them. Have a framed copy in my study. There are lots of reasons why officers leave the military before 20 years sometimes with, sometimes without retirement eligibility. I saw it many times. Regardless of any personal differences, we need more who are not paralyzed when presented with dangerous situations.

Goldstar225

Single-Sixer
As I understand it he pulled four combat tours in his 15 years. With a family maybe he felt that he had served his country and wanted to devote himself to his family. If so he earned it.

While I disapprove of the LBGTQ life style and do not see it as normal or natural as they would have us believe the man is a hero. He saved lives at the risk of his own. In the meantime the greatest contribution of some on this forum can make is snide remarks.

RSIno1

Hunter
It will all come out in the news - if it fits their agenda. Remember the Marine who helped save Gerald Ford.
Oliver Wellington "Billy" Sipple (November 20, 1941 – February 2, 1989) was an American man known for intervening to prevent an assassination attempt against U.S. President Gerald Ford on September 22, 1975. A decorated U.S. Marine and disabled Vietnam War veteran, he grappled with Sara Jane Moore as she fired a pistol at Ford in San Francisco, causing her to miss. The subsequent public revelation that Sipple was gay turned the news story into a cause célèbre for LGBT rights activists, leading Sipple to sue — unsuccessfully — several publishers for invasion of privacy, and causing his estrangement from his parents.

Perhaps he finally had enough US Army BS.
I know I did about halfway thru my three year enlistment.
And, after 15 years without being advanced to Lt Colonel, maybe he said FTA.
And if you don't know what FTA means, ask your local Vietnam veteran.

Latest posts