Question about Army veteran who stopped the nightclub attack

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
The recent mass shooting at the Colorado nightclub was stopped when an Army veteran subdued and beat the shooter and held him for police. I do not disparage or diminish the heroism shown by this individual in any way, and undoubtedly his brave actions resulted in a far lower body count than if he had just fled the scene to protect himself and his family. What I find odd is the information in the media about this individual. It stated that he is a former Army Major who served for 15 years. As a retired Army officer myself it struck me as odd that a soldier at the rank of Major would leave active duty with that many years of service rather than stay for a few more and become entitled to a pension and life long benefits as a retired officer. Then I thought that possibly this Major was medically retired, which would account for his less than 20 years of service, but news reports state he is a veteran, not a retiree. If in fact he was medically retired then his heroism is even greater since it would mean he took his action despite some significant limitation. Just wondering.

I also will admit that this individual's statement that he took his entire family to this gay nightclub to attend a drag queen show struck me as odd. I can't imagine a much more inappropriate entertainment experience for my family than going to a drag queen show, which always is a display of hyper sexuality and frankly, deviant behavior (from what I understand about these events). Just another aspect to wonder about.

I'm guessing over the next week or so the media will dig up more than he knows about himself and make it public.
He's already made some appearances so seemingly good with the attention. People there were lucky he decided to fight and
as I posted before the shooter is still hospitalized so maybe he got at least some of the beating needed.

Not sure about the CO Club but here is a little info about the famous Club My-O-My Club in New Orleans. In it's day it was quite the tourist attraction on Bourbon St. Times have changed from the days past. Mostly for the worst.:)

Club My-O-My was a female impersonator club that originated and ended in the French Quarter. It flourished after first being kicked out of an informal, after-hours home in a fur warehouse in the Vieux Carre in the early 1930s, according to oral history in the New Orleans gay community. The Club My-O-My joined the older Wonder Bar in the West End area of New Orleans. The Wonder Bar eventually closed; from the 1930s through the 1960s, the My-O-My served as a popular part of New Orleans nightlife for tourists as well as residents.

Paul B

Buckeye
Dunno if it's still there but there was a night club in San Francisco called Finnochio's that featured female impersonators. These people were good, not like the charicitures of females one sees today.
[H3]Finocchio's Club - Wikipedia[/H3]
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Finocchio's_Club

Finocchio's night club opened June 15, 1936 and was located in San Francisco, California, above Enrico's Cafe at 506 Broadway Street in North Beach. Finocchio's ...
Previous owner(s): Joseph "Joe" Finocchio, Eve ...
Closed: November 27, 1999
Street address: 506 Broadway Street, San Fra...
Established: June 15, 1936

Paul B.

kmoore

Buckeye
If you or I want to believe the media. I heard on a TV news station that he was there with his family as mentioned. His daughter has a male friend who was preforming there. In drag? I have no idea. So, maybe he was showing support for a family friend. I hope his daughter and her friend are adults. Myself, I have had 40 years of being able to go to a drag queen show and or a gay bar, I never have. It's not a place I would spend any evening. I don't have any issues with him taking his family there as long as it's an adult only.

vito

Hunter
If you or I want to believe the media. I heard on a TV news station that he was there with his family as mentioned. His daughter has a male friend who was preforming there. In drag? I have no idea. So, maybe he was showing support for a family friend. I hope his daughter and her friend are adults. Myself, I have had 40 years of being able to go to a drag queen show and or a gay bar, I never have. It's not a place I would spend any evening. I don't have any issues with him taking his family there as long as it's an adult only.

A former major with 15 years of service is not likely over 40, so I doubt that his children are adults.

GypsmJim

Bearcat
Drag performances have become the norm these days. Once considered deviant behavior they are now advertised on prime time TV.

Please review the other thread about "Reaching the Tipping Point".

Buy more ammo, stockpile water and MREs and pray.

hittman

Staff member
A former major with 15 years of service is not likely over 40, so I doubt that his children are adults.
About 60 seconds of www searching says he’s a Bronze Star recipient who served from 1999 to 2013. He’s age 45 now so, would have been about 36 in 2013.

If he had his first child at age 18, that’d make that child age 27 now.

dweis

Single-Sixer
It’s obvious if you served in the military. The man was a gay soldier. He most likely left the Army because that was uncovered, which would have been the end of promotions and his career. Even if he resigned for some other reason, who cares. He did what most would never do. He went bate handed against a shooter. He saved lives. Remember that and shrug off the speculation.

contender

Ruger Guru
I just watched the world news and they said he was "In the club with his wife & daughter, and his daughter's boyfriend." The soldier said; "We were there to support a friend. My daughter lost her boyfriend, and the shooter is still alive."
There was also a fair amount of stuff said about him serving 4 combat tours, and how he reacted. He even stated a fair amount of how he beat on the guy as the shooter tried to regain his firearm. Apparently the beating put the shooter in the hospital for a few days.

NOWHERE did I get ANYTHING that pointed to the Army Vet being gay. But that is NOT the point of this. He stepped up & did the right thing. He attacked the enemy.