Question about Aguila Ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So I was looking for a rifle red dot I think I have somewhere to put on my work van rifle (Older Ruger PC9) and realized I had this tray of 22 long rifle ammo in my ammo cabinet that I really aught to straighten out... in with all the Federal, Winchester, Remington and CCI was the Augila stuff....

I need some help figuring out what is what:

Eley Prime 60 Grains Sniper Sub Sonic
Eley Prime 30 grains Supermaximun Hyper Velocity
? 20 Grains Super CoIibri (No gun Powder) ?

tinman

Buckeye
The 20 Grain Super CoIibri (No gun Powder) is just that. 20 grain lead bullet, primer fired and similar in length to .22 shorts. I use them for pest control around the house. As I have mentioned before, several years back I discovered these little gems. They will not cycle any semi auto and are intended for use in revolvers.......but, for me, they work really well in bolt guns. I found an older Marlin 880 SS that I made into my dedicated bird feeder gun. I had an old scope laying around, which was zeroed to that ammo/rifle in the 38 foot long hallway of my old house......using a big phone book for a backstop. As said, this ammo has no gunpowder and fires from the primer alone.... and with my rifle it will do "minute of squirrel" head shots all day long out to 50 ft. I used to sit at my dining room table, crack the patio door open about 6 inches and knock em out of the bird feeders all the time. In this rifle, those rounds are quieter than my pump-up .22 cal Benjamin air rifle. 8)
I have used both of the others that you show but never really sat and did any serious comparison.
Another note: the 20 grain version (primer fired/ no gunpowder) that I have, is packaged in the same color box as your SSS 60 grain ...... :?

recumbent

Buckeye
The 60 grain sniper subsonic is crap. It is loaded on a 22 short case with the long rifle shoulder built into the lead bullet. I bought 2 boxes and it would not shoot in any 22 I own and I own a lot rifles and pistols. At 25 yards the bullets would key hole. Because it is a 60 grain bullet it is a lot longer than a 40 grain bullet which requires a faster rifling twist rate. I shot it in 1-16 and 1-15 twist rates both key holed and very very bad accuracy.

I've killed a lot of raccoons with Super Colibri out of a 22/45. Makes that pistol a mag fed, manually operated, single shot which is just what's needed on a trapline. The "Super Colibri" has enough umph to penetrate the skull of old boar coons vs the standard Colibri which often failed that task.
I've not used the "Sniper" as it has nothing I needed or wanted. Also have no experience with the "Supermaxmum".

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
I think it takes at least a 1-14" twist for the 60gr stuff. Saw a post where a person used his Ruger super single six and said it had a 1-14" twist and they shot just fine

Dan in MI

Staff member
You've pretty much got your answers.

I use the Super Colibri for vermin too. It will take out a full size coon at 50' if you use the archers shot (1/4 away)

And as stated the SSS needs a faster twist, but when used in that configuration it works well too.

Moderators: Thanks for moving this to the right place.

I guess I'll have to mess with this stuff some more.... can't quite figure out why I have it, where it came from and such... the no powder ones are the interesting part.... I have a single six stored away somewhere... never found it very accurate and my one other complaint was they are a pain to load compared to something like a MKIII.

If the government releases us from meeting by October maybe I'll bring this ammo with me to the East Coast Ruger Gathering at Contenders....

mac66

Single-Sixer
and just an FYI....

I took out a rabid skunk last summer with the Super Colibre.

Out of curiosity I chronographed the Super Colibre out of a 4" bbl semi auto pistol and a 19" bbl lever action rifle. Obviously the pistol had to be manually cycled but they cycled fine with the lever in the rifle.

It got 560 FPS out of the pistol and only 430 FPS out of the rifle. I thought that was interesting.

pharmer

Single-Sixer
mac66 said:
and just an FYI....
It got 560 FPS out of the pistol and only 430 FPS out of the rifle. I thought that was interesting.
No powder=bullet slowing down as pressure drops. Joe

There used to be a label on the Colibri indicating "not for use in rifles". Some of the older ammo was reported to fail to exit the muzzle. I found the Colibri unacceptable both in UUMPH (many big coons were only stunned by headshots)and accuracy(as in not accurate enough to make a killing hit on skunks at a distance which was "spray safe") but the Super was adequate on both accounts up to 15' or more.

Latest posts