Question about a Super Blackhawk hunter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevemb

Hunter
I don't believe so. Hunter has heavier barrel w/rib and round trigger guard or Bisley grip frame. I've owned a SBh since '81 or so. Friend has a Hunter that I've handled, no I didn't have a set of calipers on me, but don't believe the cylinders are different lengths.

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
Not an answer for exactly what was asked but my .41's measure;
New Model BLACKHAWK, 6.5" Blue, 1.70"
New Model 5.5"SS Bisley (Accusport maybe) 1.70"
"Plowhandle" Hunter 1.70"
Bisley Hunter 1.70"

Cylinders are also all approx 1.73" Diameter, only difference the blue gun is fluted of course, The Hunters and the 5.5" Bisley are all non-fluted.
Kevin

mikewriter

Blackhawk
All I could add is that I bought a nickle .44 mag cylinder, used, and it does not fit my blued .44 mag Super Blackhawk (7.5" barrel), but does fit my stainless Bisley Hunter .44 mag.

98Redline

Blackhawk
mikewriter said:
All I could add is that I bought a nickle .44 mag cylinder, used, and it does not fit my blued .44 mag Super Blackhawk (7.5" barrel), but does fit my stainless Bisley Hunter .44 mag.
Manufacturing tolerances, machined length, barrel setback, thickness of nickel coating, etc.... could all effect that without having the actual length of the cylinder be different.

As an example, I was looking for a replacement cylinder for my OM Single Six. Found out the hard way that they are all fit to their specific guns, and the length of the boss in the front of the cylinder was shorter on some than on others. I ended up finding one that was too long, then machined it down to fit properly.

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I can swap my cylinders between a regular SBH and my SBH Bisley Hunter and everything "works", I have no idea if they fit well enough to shoot.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Sacramento Johnson.... chuckbuster II answered your question. Basic differences between SBH and SBH Hunter are finish at top front of frame (squared on Hunter to accommodate ribbed barrel), and barrel threads, which are slightly thicker on the Hunter. Grip frames interchange and, nominally, cylinders do too. As cylinder length includes overall length of the axel area, as well as step length between hub and face of cylinder, minor fit-up differences between revolvers precludes total interchangeability.

It is possible to swap a cylinder and come out with better chamber-to-bore alignment than provided by the original cylinder. Likewise, eliminate----or, introduce----a poor chamber.
David Bradshaw

Latest posts