Question about a S&W Victory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
I found an old S&W Victory model and would like to have it for a WWII collectable as well as shooter. It's tight and has about a 75% finish on it.
It's marked US Navy on the top strap.

Now here's the deal, someone "cut" the lanyard loop off. No damage to the backstrap at all and a small part of the stud is still sticking out with saw marks on it. I haven't had the grips off of it as it is still in the dealers case. I found replacement lanyards in a couple of places and can get one fairly cheap.

Here's my question........ is this hard to replace? Is it two-piece or does it take a special process to replace it?

I know this ain't Ruger but you guys are a world of knowledge and I appreciate the help.

Many thanks,
Shorty

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Shorty, Not hard to replace . Be sure to get the correct size loop. Mine has a drift cross pin thru the bottom of the grip that holds the loop in place. I have seen some with the loop turned to the inside of the frame, look first.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Sam,

Thanks for the info. Took the grips off and no loop. She's been cut off but the cross pin is still there holding in the sawed section. Now if I can find a lanyard assembly I'm in business.

Numrich has them, newly manufactured in blued. That would work but I'd really like to find an original to replace this with.

BTW the gun is all matching, good bore and has correct grips. Early 41-42 manufacture.

Thanks again for your help, now I begin the search!

Shorty

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Shorty, I will check our local parts dealer at the gun show here on August 1. He has 12 tables stacked with old gun parts , I will try to select the best of what he has.

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Sam,

Now that's going the estra mile. I appreciate that so much. I'll wait and see what you come up with. I will gladly reimburse you for your cost, time and trouble.

Many, many thanks
Shorty

that sounds good, around here the lanyards are in the $25 range, and are very "used" looking, most are in white or the parkerizing has about come off...the blued one would work, just "age" it to match............

Shorty Jenkins

Blackhawk
Sam,

You are incredible! Sent you a PM with my address and an e-mail with some thoughts.

Forum,
Sam is one of the good guys, like 99% of the posters on Ruger Forum.
It's my pleasure to be a part of this.

Shorty