Question about a MKII "Great Eight"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

misybailey1

Bearcat
I am wondering if someone can give me more info. on the Davidson's special "Great Eight"?
I am looking at purchasing one of these, however, the S/N is later than known S/N range according to RENE's reference book of firearms.

I have read conflicting descriptions about this model, as well.

could it be possible that someone took the barrel off an original and placed it on the barrel of a later gun?

Thank You,
Amber Bailey

The ranges may change, as to 'later' even earlier as for the m,ost part, the numbers are those that are reported to Chet15 or he has "seen" for himself.......also they may finish up and complete a later batch......best is to contact Chet15 (RENE) and tell him just what serial number you have,,,this will "expand" the range.....as for changing out the barrel...doubtful...though we have cut a few down over the years as requested by the shooters...that is a "HEAVY" barrel....(yes, then they came out with them 4 inch heavy barrels...go figure...) almost as bad as them 10 inch Mark II's......have cut even more of them down over the years..............

misybailey1

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. Dan. I think I will call Ruger as well as contacting Chet. It looks to me that this particular one is a plain Bull Barrel, not a slab-side bull barrel though.

BTW, I love those 10" ers, got two of em myself, and I must say, IMHO, they are the sweetest, most well-balanced, accurate 22 LR I have had the pleasure of shootin!

Amber

mohavesam

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73":y95iggpy said:
The "Great Eight" models will have that designation rollmarked on the bbl.

Exactly. In stylized characters. and will be a 22/45 frame. And will have standard MkII rear sight and hawksbill front blade. In blued steel.

And that's about it. But they make great shooters, excellent squirrel guns! :D

:wink:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
There was a first run that were MKIIs and a second run of 22/45s. I have one of the MKIIs. I have 11 MKIIs and the Great Eight is the best shooter of the bunch.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, the numbers found in the Ruger reference volumes come from stuff I've been able to get my hands on, and from reports I receive from all Ruger collectors (which I really depend on!). So all serial number ranges are subject to change, depending on how many sharp eyed folks are willing to provide info.
Chet15

rbsoto8

Bearcat
Here is my 22/45 Great 8, its funny I saw this post cause i just picked this up yesterday for $300 and it has 3 mags and all the stock goodies plus a pistol scope all in ex cond...
100_1095.jpg

100_1096.jpg

Latest posts