Question about a Bisley conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

packingheat

Bearcat
I bought a Mag-na-port Tomahawk about a year ago that I wanted to put a Bisley grip frame on. The trigger job they did on it, is in my opinion the best I have ever had.

My question if I install a Bisley grip frame is it a requirement to replace the hammer and trigger with that of a Bisley?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Not really but you'll have a larger than normal void in the hammer slot of the grip frame. You'll need different screws for the ears of the grip frame too.

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
Please, allow me to ride coattail on the Bisley questioning.

I have a SS NV 45 Colt and would like the Bisley hmr and possibly trigger.

Can I change just the hmr, just the hmr & trigger or even just the hmr?

The Bisley grip frame sounds expensive, so much like the Meatloaf song I wouldn't be sad coz two outa three ain't bad...

Thanks.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Staying with a non-Bisley gripframe but having a Bisley hammer would require the hump on the hammer to be re-profiled so that it fits in the hammer slot of the grip frame. the grip frames aren't really expensive, about $125 or so but they come unfinished and of course they'd need fitting to whatever cylinder frame they were mated to. That's a DIY job or for $70 or so, can have a GOOD gunsmith do it. then add finishing to that.
Getting a new grip frame would also need a grip panel locator pin and the trigger spring retaining pin.

flatgate

Hawkeye
The Bisley trigger needs a longer slot in the grip frame, too.

I just remove the Bisley hump from the hammer with good results...

357573210.jpg

flatgate

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
I see the hump you're talking about having to remove and that doesn't seem like much of a step or expense in only having to buy the hmr..

I think w/low horizonal profile of the Bisley hmr spur I could thumb it fairly easily while maintaining my grip on the plow handle.

As is, I have to pull/contort my hand/short stubby fangers to cock the hmr w/strong hand.

Of course, I could up n buy a SS Bisley 45 Vaquero from Lipsey's, but I think I'll wait and see how the 44 spl Bisley fits my hand before considering that much additional expense.

Seeing how the frames & grip frames are the same, as I understand.

Did you take a file to that hump?

Thanks guys.
--------------
& thanks for the pics. Worth a thousand words ya know...

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
The quotes Im getting for a Bishawk coversion are for about $300, which sseems way too high to me. Wouldnt it be cheaper and simpler to buy a 7.5" Bisley and replace the barrel?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
surveyor47":122i6hg1 said:
The quotes Im getting for a Bishawk coversion are for about $300, which sseems way too high to me. Wouldnt it be cheaper and simpler to buy a 7.5" Bisley and replace the barrel?

Sometimes, yes, but kinda hard to do that if it's not just a bbl cutting issue. Say one wants a stainless Single Six Bisley... It's sometimes the end result that matters more than what it takes ($) to get there.

Latest posts