question about a 44 carbine sight.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44woman

Bearcat
I have a ruger 44 carbine that I have a question or 2 about. First question, can anyone tell me about the sight that is on it. I have looked online, here and elsewhere, but cannot find one like it. It says Williams, on the side of it. The fold down rear sight blade has the same white adjustment lines on it that the williams site has on it. my other 2 carbines do not have these markings on the rear sight blade.

By the other sights on the gun, and that it has the sling studs on it, i am assuming that is is the 44RS model, but I really do not know for sure. I did look at the Sturm Ruger website, and by the serial # I do know that it was made in 1981. And I guess the second question is...is it a RS model?

Thanks for any help. Thinking about selling it, but wanted more info on it before I do that. Hopefully these pictures will help. I had to take them with my cell phone, so they are not the best quality.My stupid cat ate my cord for my camera. Bad Kitty!

rs4.jpg

rs1.jpg

rs3.jpg

mike7mm08

Buckeye
First I believe that is way to late to be a RS model. I am sure someone will chime in with the exact production dates. My mind is a little fuzzy at the moment and don't want to dig up the info. Anyways that is definitely not the proper sight of an RS. The sight you have is current production that uses the rear scope base screws. It is made by williams gun sight company out of michigan. I cannot tell much from the picture of the rear sight. You have a decent shooter. Williams offers a fiber optic front sight to go with this receiver sight. It is a great combo. If you decide to take the receiver sight off you might need to change the front sight. Typically the front sight needs to be changed to a taller version when using this receiver sight. The taller front may or may not be compatible with the rear blade.The RS receiver sight mounted on the side of the receiver. At the very bottom of the link there is a picture showing what the sight would look like. Call Ruger records and get the shipping configuration which I am sure will be a standard carbine.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/PartsBooklets/E2.pdf

44woman

Bearcat
Thank you for the info. It helps. I will call Ruger Records on Tuesday, would do it on Monday, but it is Columbus Day, and they are probably not open. I was going to call and get a letter on it anyway. It is so cool to be able to have that info from them, unless you get that really crappy letter like on my older 44 that says, unfortunately due to our records department flooding, we don't have a clue. Oh well, you cannot control the ever moody mother nature!

44woman

Bearcat
That looks almost exactly like what is on the gun, except for the ring part. I went to the williams sight and the picture was spot on. I did get up way to late to get to talk to anyone at ruger records. Either that or no one there. I did leave a message. I will be setting my alarm for 6am so that I can call them again tomorrow. I am also going to send them a letter request by snail mail for my other 3 rifles that I do not have a letter on yet. A 44 carbine international, and two 10/22 internationals, all three by their serial # range were made 1966. So I might not be getting any luck on those, I will probably get the same answer as with my other 44, flooded records department...oh well doesn't hurt to try. They must have done a run on the internationals in 1966, three out of my 4 were made then.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
44woman:

Same sight as the one on your 44, only yours has the aperture screwed into the sight. Williams makes different size apertures for the base.

Good luck with the letters.

Latest posts