Query about a Ruger Revolver .327 Mag...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KIR

Sparks, NV
I was at one of my local LGS and was just curious about a Ruger Revolver .327 Mag and why they were hard to find. The salesman said that there weren't too many of them around and the ammo for them was expensive. Does anybody have any opinions?

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
I was at one of my local LGS and was just curious about a Ruger Revolver .327 Mag and why they were hard to find. The salesman said that there weren't too many of them around and the ammo for them was expensive. Does anybody have any opinions?
What be LGS did you see it at?
It is a bit of an odd gun, large for the uncommon caliber, but extremely versatile. One can shoot 32 S&W ,32S&W Long ,32 H&R ,327 Fed Mag,AND 32ACP.
It was just odd enough to be unpopular,and got dropped.
32 S&W long is available ,and as mild to shoot in the Blackhawk as most 22's.

I'm serious, where did you see one?

37fed

Single-Sixer
When did it get dropped? The Ruger web site shows 11 current versions in Single Seven, LCRX, SP101, Redhawk, GP 101, Super GP 101, LCR and Super Redhawk. Possibly like other Ruger revolvers it is on the back burner of production to produce the high selling concealment autos and the economical Wranglers.

KIR

Sparks, NV
I should have mentioned LCR. I just don't like that it is in stainless. I will check out the SP101. Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
The .327 has not been "dropped" by Ruger. It may not be in full production, or whatever,, but they still offer it in their catalog. And as things settle down, more different models of many of their guns will return to being made and become available.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The .327 has not been "dropped" by Ruger. It may not be in full production, or whatever,, but they still offer it in their catalog. And as things settle down, more different models of many of their guns will return to being made and become available.
I should have been more clear, I guess, but I thought that the thread was about the 8 shot 327 Blackhawk, not the caliber itself.
Yes, still lotsa 327's out there,and more to come.

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I have one of the first lcr's in .327 federal magnum. It's a good, versatile, little six shooter. It can be quite the powerhouse given the right loads. Fun to shoot and snappy, too.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem BB.

Something mentioned to me by a distributor once.
They said that once Ruger has built a gun,, in this modern era, it can ALWAYS be re-introduced. A good example is the 45 Colt Hunter. All it takes is a demand, and the willingness of a distributor to invest in a "special" run.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have two , 327GP100 and SP101in 327 , the GP is heavy with the small holes, but even with the hottest lads if feels like a VERY LOUG 22.
The SP101 shoots excellent and will make a fine "walk about" gun. The round is very much like a rimed 30 carbine with all of the same characteristics , very loud, very accurate and even more versatile in the calibers it will shoot.

MitchSC

Bearcat
My wife carries a LCR 327 loaded with 32 H&R magnum. The 32 H&R compares favorably to .38 spl having a little more velocity and pressure it has about the same muzzle energy. It is a pleasure to practice with 32 SW long which has less recoil than shooting .38 spl from my 605. Even though not recommended by Ruger, I have safely ran .32 acp being semi rimed with about the same max pressure as 32 H&R through it. If you can find 32 SW it feels like it has less recoil than our LCR 22. No one in my family besides me will shoot 327 Federal mags through it. I joke that the muzzle blast and sound alone is almost enough to deter an attack.
I don't think it has been dropped. I saw one at Palmetto State Armory a few days ago, there was also a Taurus® 327 at almost half the cost.
Right now ammunition is almost non existent or prohibitively expensive. I will probably start reloading that caliber.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The .32 caliber is inherently accurate, and if one handloads, the .327 is a wonderful caliber in the Rugers. As already mentioned, it handles a wide array of cartridges, but one of the most under-appreciated features is the ability to utilize "Ruger-only" 32 H&R Magnum loads. They perform as well or better than the 38 Special +P, but with less recoil, and one gets an extra round in a compact firearm vs. the .38. Great choice for those who find the fire-breathing .327 Federal to be a bit much. I love being able to load everything from little "popgun" loads up to magnums, and bullet weights from 60 to 130 grains, all while using minimal powder and lead. I've e-mailed Marlin (Ruglin?) asking them to produce a lever gun in .327...the Henrys have a poor track record with reliability, and I have never been impressed with their accuracy.

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
The .32 caliber is inherently accurate, and if one handloads, the .327 is a wonderful caliber in the Rugers. As already mentioned, it handles a wide array of cartridges, but one of the most under-appreciated features is the ability to utilize "Ruger-only" 32 H&R Magnum loads. They perform as well or better than the 38 Special +P, but with less recoil, and one gets an extra round in a compact firearm vs. the .38. Great choice for those who find the fire-breathing .327 Federal to be a bit much. I love being able to load everything from little "popgun" loads up to magnums, and bullet weights from 60 to 130 grains, all while using minimal powder and lead. I've e-mailed Marlin (Ruglin?) asking them to produce a lever gun in .327...the Henrys have a poor track record with reliability, and I have never been impressed with their accuracy.
Ditto EVERYTHING you said, also about the Henrys. I'm extremely lucky to have bought a Marlin 32 H&R when they first came out, still have it. It performs well with .312" SKS jacketed bullets,and a huge variety of hard cast slugs .
I would love to see a Ruger/ Marlin lever gun in .327 !!