Quality of factory reblue?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

willieboy

Bearcat
The recent post about a SBH purchase got me to wondering if I sent my Ruger Standard .22 pistol back to Ruger for re-bluing if it would look like its brother finish that has never been out of the box? Is the bluing process at Ruger today what it was in 1979?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I had a gun reblued by Ruger a couple of years ago. They did it in a deep black like the new guns. It does not look like I remember he 70's hot salts blue to look like.

any ruger

Blackhawk
I had my mrk I done two or three years ago. I think it looks better than when it was new. It sat in my topper for years as a shooter and was rusted and had some pits. Ruger fixed it up , all the lettering looks orig. With shipping to Ruger and back it cost $120.00 .

JHRosier

Single-Sixer
I had Ruger refinish a rusted Blackhawk a number of years ago.
The finish was the "brushed" finish used on current guns, not the high polished finish from the early days.
They did an excellent job, keeping the edges sharp and the lettering sharp.
The gripframe was replaced with a current production painted one.
I was well pleased with the results.
They salvaged a rusted and pitted $75 gun show find and made it look like new, for short money ($40 at the time).

Jack

willieboy, you won't know till they "see it and quote you a price..." I recently sent a Single Six 3 screw in and they wanted 0ver $300 to repair and do the safety update..more than what the gun was worth, besides why should I have to pay them $80 "labor" and $138 "reblue" when I can do THAT work myself?? been rebluing guns since the late 60's....
for that kind of money, I will come OUT of 'retirement'.... 8)

yes, most any good shop can make the early RST's ( Mark I or II) and such look like 'new", yes, today they will be a different "color" as many have updated and use the more versatile, darker type of blue, more of a black oxide, type, as Dulite Co furnishes many of the companies with these salts/solutions...........we used to use Houghtons, and such ourselves and they had the "blue" niter crystals in them, but many have gone away from this formula???

flatgate

Hawkeye
rugerguy":83iiz15v said:
but many have gone away from this formula???

I've heard it became a "hazardous waste/environmental issue" and that's why it's black instead of blue....

Just what I've heard........

flatgate