Quality Control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sometimes people here love to bash Ruger's lack of quality control. For example Blackhawk grips fitting on the frame properly. They always point out how other gun companies do it right and so on. And some do. I've never shot a Freedom Arms revolver, but I've seen them, and they are put together very well.

Well, a few months ago, I finally bought a Glock 19. It was one gun I had wanted for a year or so. I finally got a Gen 5. Some distributor exclusive in this distressed finish. It's nice. I bought it, took it home, handled it. Got a holster for it and practiced some.

Finally took it to the range. It was shooting low and to the right. But I figured it's my first time with the gun, and I haven't been to the range in a while. So I figured I'd just go back and try again. It's a nice gun. Nice grip angle, nice trigger etc.

Then I saw the rear sight once I got home and was putting it away. Not sure how I missed this before!

No wonder it was shooting to the right so much. This sight is not centered. Yep, came from the factory like that.

Plus I see why the Glock factory sights have such poor respect online. They are just too chunky and blocky. I don't have a sight tool, so instead of taking it to a gunsmith and having them fix this, I just ordered a new set of fiber optic sights, and I'll have them installed.

It's pretty disappointing really. Brand new gun, and the replacement sights were $100. Then it will probably be at least $50 to have a gunsmith install them.

GlockRearSight.jpg

I'm not a fan of Glocks ... never have been and really pretty sure I never will be. I used to say I would never own one.... don't like their looks... look like a shoe box to me.... not a fan of striker fired.... but then I have to say they aren't nearly as ugly once you own one... and I now own three.... but that also allows me to be more objective... I don't like the trigger on them... and ..... they are the absolute worse designed pistol to break down (just a tad better than a Ruger MkIII). I've always figured this is how production and quality control works in a factory... you set up a system and the last part is quality control and after a while the bean counters realize the folks in quality control are just passing everything along and not finding hardly any problems and so they aren't needed and they get rid of it or cut back a lot... and then you know what happens...

I'll bring my Glock 31 and 32c to the gathering and you can try them out.....

Kevin, Those sights are easy to "drift" wherever you want them. Lay it on something with a towel under it and
just use a small punch and hammer to tap it over to the left.
As for shooting low Glock basically regulates their sights so the front sight's circle covers the bull. I heard it called
a combat sight picture. I know many try to align them with the 6 o'clock of the bull sitting lollipop style and end
up hitting low.

gunzo

Buckeye
That's a rap or 2 on a wood bench at the range.
Remove slide, hold muzzle end in had, whack rear site on bench. Assemble, shoot, repeat procedure if necessary.

;)

Blume,
I had trouble at first with disassembly too and mentioned it to a buddy.
He ask me if I pulled the trigger after I unloaded the gun & cleared it, I replied no and he said try it.
Bingo slide pops right off every time. I only have one, a first year 19 that my wife got me for Xmas,
I carry & shoot it more than any other handgun I own.
To each his own! It would be a boring world if we all had to like the same thing. ;)

I’ve heard they were easy to take apart. I haven’t tried yet. It will need cleaned soon enough I suppose…

Thanks for the video Dave P.
Actually you may never have to clean it. It will get too dirty and nasty to handle before it will need to be cleaned to function.
The video was just for fun as I've never heard anybody complain about a Glock takedown other than needing to pull the trigger.
I always figured those people must have thought themselves too stupid to verify it was unloaded first.

txray357

Bearcat
I read/hear much about Ruger QC. I have owned Ruger guns over the last 35 years and only had issues with two. Both were .22LR one SP101 and a SR22. The empties had to be forced out of the SP with a small dowel rod. The SR had fail to feed issues, this could be care loading the mag. (like the Glock G44). But, the Blackhawks, GP100, SP101, LCR, P95, MKII and 10/22 were all good to go.

Blume,
I had trouble at first with disassembly too and mentioned it to a buddy.
He ask me if I pulled the trigger after I unloaded the gun & cleared it, I replied no and he said try it.
Bingo slide pops right off every time. I only have one, a first year 19 that my wife got me for Xmas,
I carry & shoot it more than any other handgun I own.
To each his own! It would be a boring world if we all had to like the same thing. ;)
Flatgate would have said something along the lines of RTFM. ;):LOL::LOL:;)