Put some different ammo in new Mini 30 Tactical

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Oldfed

Bearcat
So this last week I put some rounds thru my new Mini 30 Tactical.
-PMC brass cased FMJ fed flawlessly, but was $16/box. Pricey!
-Monarch steel cased FMJ, Failure To Feed on 2nd round from new mag, but after that ran good. Tight spring in new mag may have led to the jam. Cheap at $6/box
-Tulammo steel cased FMJ fed flawlessly, and also $6/box
-Hotshot steel cased FMJ, had 2 rounds out of 20 fail to fire. Ran those 2 rounds thru again, and even though primer hit looked good, both failed again. The rest fed flawlessly. Again, about $6/box

I was just using the factory peep sights at about 80 yards, using the seat of a golf cart as a rest, so it was hard to determine accuracy, but it seemed like the Hotshot and PMC were the most accurate with around 7" groups. The Monarch and the Tulammo had a little bit bigger groups. I was just glad to see that the Mini 30 would run the cheap ammo. I am going to give Silver Bear ammo a shot next, since it seems several folks have said it works well in this gun. And I have a 1-4x Leupold scope on order, so hopefully will get a better idea of accuracy when I get it mounted.

DGW1949

Hunter
I understand what you're saying about "good" 7.62X39 ammo being pricey but all brass cased .30-cal ammo has gotten pricey. If ya ask me, even the relatively cheap .556 that I shoot out of my Mini-14 cost too much.....but it is what it is, and I don't see it apt to change.

DGW

M77Rocks

Bearcat
OldFed - I also have a Mini30Tac and saw your posting about the problems with 'hard' primers encountered. How about the bullets being a bit over-sized?
Any problems with that? Also have a M77 Compact bolt gun in same caliber that I've only fired American ammo in... M77 Rocks

Oldfed

Bearcat
I have not found a problem yet with over sized bullets. However, when I loaded them in the magazine there was very little room between the nose of the bullet and the mag wall. Had to be careful when loading to seat the rounds as far back as possible in the mag. Can't remember which brand was worse about that. Was there a particular brand that you think were oversized? I ordered another round of some different brands of ammo and plan on giving them a try in the next week or so.