Punch Bowl Set, NOT! I don't believe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This is what I thought was a punch bowl set. Seems too small to be. Probably only holds a quart or so. Martini's? but the cups are wrong. How about hard cider?

P4170009.jpg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Looks like the Kool-Aide pitcher from the commercials - just needs a smiley face :)

I think the punch bowl set has 12 cups with handles that are open at the bottom so they can hang from the rim of the bowl. Or that's what I recall... never saw one in person, only in that long ago eBay ad.

chet15

Hawkeye
The term "punch bowl set" was something that was given to me a long long time ago. Not sure if that would be the right term either as I have never seen a set or single piece myself. But forum member Don Findley has had at least one piece of this. Perhaps he can verify whether golferboy's items are similar to what he has.
As I understand it, the so-called "punch bowl set" was given to the first employees at the Newport plant, circa '63 or '64 or so and may have only been given to executives.
Chet15

d findley

Single-Sixer
My punch bowl set looks exactly like the one pictured with the 1st initial of the last name (employee) etched on each glass and pitcher. My understanding these were given, by SR&Co., to employees (not sure who got them or at what time). Sorry that's all I know about the sets. I haven't seen many. Maybe not that popular with collectors as the SR logo was not on the set??

chet15

Hawkeye
That's the whole thing about these...they are rare, rare! In fact, I'd not even seen an example until this thread. One would think if they were produced in any quantity that more than a couple sets would have shown up by now. Probably where I got the thought that they may have been executives only.
Chad

wow, in all these years YOU (chet15) have NOT seen or heard of any???? HHHMMMM...makes one wondr if its not someones vivid imagination, or some person selling off "stuff" from their collection, and on and on, the story may go.........odd that Steve,Nancy eyc NEVER mentionerd any of this .l....all of these comments are from my wife, laura by the way.......she wants to SEE the "SR" or 'something, or anything in writing per se.........
gosh, I've seen LOTS of glass 'artwork' with whatever logo design you want them to put on it...she sets up at the flea markets over here.maybe I'll get a few 'sets' with WBR on them.........

like this............................

1SRdesign.jpg

I know , I know ,,,,,,"never ,say never.........."
But I can never tell you how many "sets" of glassware we have seen in all the years of setting up and attending antiques shows throughout the country..... :shock:

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy":3oz68h8g said:
wow, in all these years YOU (chet15) have NOT seen or heard of any???? HHHMMMM...makes one wondr if its not someones vivid imagination, or some person selling off "stuff" from their collection, and on and on, the story may go.........odd that Steve,Nancy eyc NEVER mentionerd any of this .l....all of these comments are from my wife, laura by the way.......she wants to SEE the "SR" or 'something, or anything in writing per se.........
gosh, I've seen LOTS of glass 'artwork' with whatever logo design you want them to put on it...she sets up at the flea markets over here.maybe I'll get a few 'sets' with WBR on them.........

I know , I know ,,,,,,"never ,say never.........."
But I can never tell you how many "sets" of glassware we have seen in all the years of setting up and attending antiques shows throughout the country..... :shock:

Never said I'd never heard of them before. In fact I'm the one who mentioned them in the memorabilia articles I did for RCA and RENE two decades or so ago. What I did say was I'd never seen a set. I've had some pretty rare stuff myself and have heard of a lot more, but have never had the opportunity to obtain at least one piece of this set even though I've begged. I'd also be the last one to get excited about any item with supposed Ruger ties or the Ruger name on it unless it had some "history" as to being the real deal. I don't even get excited about "Vendor Samples" because there's too much of it, and much of that stuff wasn't even ordered by the factory....just presented to them as wares from a "Vendor" for possible sales to the company.
Now to the meat and potatoes. The set in question is not some kind of glassware you find at the carnival. Donnie's set came from a Ruger executive and I know enough about golferboy's dad and his connections with the factory to say that there is a real good chance his set also came from an executive (Dan...you should remember the guy from New Hampshire that had four "RUGER PISTOLS" ashtrays at the Monroeville show in the late '80's. That was Golferboy's dad.....Now how in the world would he be able to come up with something like four of those ashtray's, brand new no less, when most memorabilia collectors go a lifetime without obtaining a single example of that rare ashtray for themselves. What's more, in the beginning of this thread Rugerboy didn't believe his set to be what was possibly described as a "punch bowl set"...but Donnie's comments validates to me what it is. I'm not particular if we call it a punch bowl set or a "KoolAid" set...it is what it is.
So just 'cause it doesn't have "RUGER" on it or Bill Ruger's signature doesn't mean it wasn't intended for some special purpose. I think there's enough history from "honest" fellas (owners) here to say these items are great Ruger collecting property.
If I had a set it would be a centerpiece of a Ruger memorabilia collection, but that's just me, and I'll also bet the two individuals I know that have them right now won't eventually sell them as if they were obtained from a carnival.
Steve Vogel never mentioned anything about them...which could validate their rarity, but do you have any idea how much of this stuff with factory ties has been procured by the Ruger factory through the years? We're lucky Steve had a collector mentality about him to keep track of the stuff that he did know about. But why would Nancy Padua know anything about these? Beyond her being a major part of RCA in its infancy, I'm not sure she even set foot inside the factory.
Chet15

Chet, would you say that items not bearing a Ruger marking of some kind require pretty good documentation of their provenance . . . perhaps a little more than items so marked?

I realize a "mark" is no guarantee of legitimacy, and we all know about some of the brassards (patches) that are known to be "after-market" creations and other similar stuff.

Just asking. I have no dog anywhere near this fight.

:)

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":i8umo4j7 said:
Just asking. I have no dog anywhere near this fight.

Not fighting, but the provenance in these cases speak for themselves. A letter would be nice on these two sets, and might be possible in Donnie's case...but my whole long winded reply above was to be sure that the rarity of the items in question are not somehow minimalized.
Just because nobody's seen such a thing doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Just like the Southwest US where all the scientists say man wasn't around that area before 10,000 BC or whatever they say. Now woudln't that be a needle in a haystack...trying to find evidence of the earliest humans in North America...a bone, a flint chip, whatever...but for those scientists, North American Human History begins at that date. I.M.O. they have tunnelvision and only believe what they have read in the books.
Horsehocky.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":rvfx7az7 said:
Chet, would you say that items not bearing a Ruger marking of some kind require pretty good documentation of their provenance . . . perhaps a little more than items so marked?

Yes...but who's going to know the person who signed the letter of provenance in 100 years, or even 50 years?
Why is it that a piece of paper (with provenance) should be treated any differently...Integrity? Far be it for somebody to fake a letter of provenance for an all-mighty dollar....bet that one's never happened.
To me its a question of trust from one of integrity.
And as I mentioned in my email Ale-8(1), I am unable to give you any more truthful answer.
Chet15