Punch Bowl Set, NOT! I don't believe

Help Support Ruger Forum:

guess you "missed my point" ( but somehow added carnival??????)
Just because any given item comes from the "estate of......." means NOTHING in reality......unless there is some sort of provenance...same thing as saying that Mr Ruger used to own or have it, so its "Ruger...." nah, theres LOTS of stuff in any given household, some fancier and richer, and some of us only have every day stuff,,,,,UNTUIL we become "rich AND famous, and our "stuff" becomes collectible....as for why Nancy would NOT know anything about any of this surprises me you would even make that sort of comment...........???wow, I am a bit disappointed................

Gotta go and find some of that silver ware that came out of Hitlers bunker....bye :roll:

too many times over the years just becasue "so and so" has it , it is the gosple......sorry, we ain;t buying it..........I gotta go baby sit the little Ruger Dude.................

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy":2mxf54x9 said:
guess you "missed my point" ( but somehow added carnival??????)
Just because any given item comes from the "estate of......." means NOTHING in reality...

Yup...Agreed.

......unless there is some sort of provenance...same thing as saying that Mr Ruger used to own or have it, so its "Ruger...." nah, theres LOTS of stuff in any given household, some fancier and richer, and some of us only have every day stuff,,,,,UNTUIL we become "rich AND famous, and our "stuff" becomes collectible

Well then, for all you pessimists, at what point does a letter of provenance become bunk also? Do you really think that somebody hasn't made a ton of $ in the past because of some "bunk" letter? What's the difference? Your supposed "heresay" or somebody's "letter" that nobody will know who it is that signed it in 50-100 years anyway. Then a pessimist wouldn't trust the signature anyway.
When does trust become a factor for you? How about a past record of integrity? Why believe anything you read?
Some people just happen to like to share their discoveries with the masses. Hey, I could care less if that glassware is right or not. I'm not telling you "YOU MUST BELIEVE". But I've answered a question in my own mind. That my friend is what is important to ME.

as for why Nancy would NOT know anything about any of this surprises me you would even make that sort of comment...........???wow, I am a bit disappointed.....

Dan....Nancy wasn't a factory employee, nor do I believe she would have ever set foot in the factory. I respect Nancy Padua and what she was able to do while with the Ruger Collectors' Association, but at the same time I think you know what I meant by my comment. I do not believe Nancy would have known about any of the things that went on inside the factory, or who got what...unless it was from your so-called "heresay" from another employee which even you choose not to believe yourself.

You guys have sure chosen a pissin-match....but I see more to the story here than just a set of glassware.
Thank GOD this is a free country, for today anway!

Chet15

ain't no "pissin match..." I don't drive up the prices and make things up or pick them out of the ozone...Laura totally agrees, unless its documented, noted or shown in some sort of picture, ,in an office, or at least the card that came with it to the "employees (recipient) that here you go, something from us"( managment/buyer,whomever, its only 'stuff' from some persons estate, and you know how some individuals have had free run of the place for alll these years, and again, not mentioned?? noted or commented upon ,back THEN?????
Hey, I'm happy and glad that Golferboi, and Donnie, have something of intrest and "who knows"?? we got lots of our own "stuff"................ but I trust Nancy far MORE than I trust you, sorry, just MY opinion.....................no more comment from me.........go piss up a tree................

boy this sure got interesting lately. Anyway I haven't found any documentation nor have I looked. i just today learned of the "controversy". I do know my Dad had a huge memoribilia collection and this was in the showcase so there is no doubt he believed it's real Ruger. If I ever find documentation I'll post it but all his stuff came direct form factory employees with pretty high service or level in the Co.

OK, my original question seems to have opened some old wounds. I'm sorry about that, and I want to clear the air.

I was not casting doubt on anything having to do with this particular "find". I'm in no position to know anything about it, and did not claim to be.

I did not intend to question anyone's integrity about anything.

My entire point was to see how anyone felt about my personal opinion that it is better to have documentation on collectible items than to not have documentation. Apparently some took that to mean I have doubts about certain published information relating to Ruger collectibles and ephemera. Certainly not my intent. I may not accept absolutely everything I read here or anywhere else at face value, but I think that's good advice for anyone who plays with collectibles. JMHO, of course.

I have no idea why this entire matter took off like a forest fire, but can only assume there's more to all this than meets the eye. I don't know anything about that, and what's more, I don't care about it, either.

Personally, I want some sort of assurance that something is "genuine" if I'm going to pay a "collector's price" for it. I won't accept "somebody once said that somebody else once said he knew where it came from" as that assurance. If you're comfortable with that, fine by me.

For what it's worth, I buy all the "favorite" books and periodical publications that shed light on the provenance of the stuff involved in our hobby. I digest the information, compare it, and make my own judgments thereon. Everyone else has to make their own decisions.

And that, really, absolutely, for sure, is all I have to say about that. I imagine you're all relieved . . . right?

:mrgreen:

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ale,

You certainly "said it" better than I ever could have!

Me? I collect Firearms. The vast majority of those Firearms are marked
Sturm, Ruger & Co. Gosh, some of them are even marked Sturm, Ruger and Co., Inc.! ( OK, a few are marked Freedom Arms.. :D )

The rest of the stuff? Oh, I like a few trinkets but blued steel rules.

We all here have different interests/opinions/funds. Whatever works to "float someone's boat" is perfectly fine by me. That's why we live in the USA!

flatgate

PS I have this "muzzle brake" that looks very similar to the one's sold by SR&Co. but they must have forgotten to roll mark this one....
329198997.jpg

It fits a early Single-Six...... :D

mattsbox99

Hunter
You guys sure get worked up over little things!

I'm a gun guy, I like the Ruger memorabilia a lot, but I don't own anything beyond a couple of posters.

Very nice display!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
My two cents... I love Ruger "stuff". That said, I'll go after the Ruger branded memorabilia so long as it's a factory authorized item. To me that's what makes it "authentic". Anyone can get a design put on anything and try and pawn it off as the real McCoy. The same people can easily print out a fancy looking paper and call it a certificate of authenticity. As far as a "he said, she said" for authenticating an item...the person would need t be someone that was pretty high up the corporate ladder. heresay doesn't impress me. I'm not buying it unless I am 110% sure. Maybe I'll pass up a super-rare item someday going about it in this manner, but more than likely, I'll pass up a fake. Keeping abreast on the items takes time and keeping track of it all mentally...well, mental is a appropriate term . ;) :lol: Doing one's homework helps eliminates the mistakes too. I didn't learn geometry and trig from heresay, not going to collect based on it either.

d findley

Single-Sixer
I bought my set from a Ruger employee several years ago. I was able to contact him yesterday. He his now retired. Here is what he said about these crystal sets, "The crystal punch bowl set was given, by SR&Co., in the early 60s. The brandy bowl had 4 additional glasses. The first letter from the employee's last name was etched in each glass and bowl. My guess would be 75-100 sets were made and given at Christmas".

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Thanx! That's good enough for me. Looks like that's a glassware item I'll have to do without.

Next...!

:)

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Ruger Memorabilla Collecting History!!
Congradulations to both Donnie and golferboy!!
I believe from the lists I've seen the year would be 1963??

Maybe if we are lucky this subject will flush out a few more! :wink:.
Terry

Ale-8(1)":37fz4blc said:
OK, my original question seems to have opened some old wounds. I'm sorry about that, and I want to clear the air.

I was not casting doubt on anything having to do with this particular "find". I'm in no position to know anything about it, and did not claim to be.

I did not intend to question anyone's integrity about anything.

My entire point was to see how anyone felt about my personal opinion that it is better to have documentation on collectible items than to not have documentation. Apparently some took that to mean I have doubts about certain published information relating to Ruger collectibles and ephemera. Certainly not my intent. I may not accept absolutely everything I read here or anywhere else at face value, but I think that's good advice for anyone who plays with collectibles. JMHO, of course.

I have no idea why this entire matter took off like a forest fire, but can only assume there's more to all this than meets the eye. I don't know anything about that, and what's more, I don't care about it, either.

Personally, I want some sort of assurance that something is "genuine" if I'm going to pay a "collector's price" for it. I won't accept "somebody once said that somebody else once said he knew where it came from" as that assurance. If you're comfortable with that, fine by me.

For what it's worth, I buy all the "favorite" books and periodical publications that shed light on the provenance of the stuff involved in our hobby. I digest the information, compare it, and make my own judgments thereon. Everyone else has to make their own decisions.

And that, really, absolutely, for sure, is all I have to say about that. I imagine you're all relieved . . . right?

:mrgreen:

Thank you, works for me and after conversations with others, sound pretty neat....
to golferboi & donnie, neat stuff , as I said before, but not our thing.....