Public Street and interaction with neighbor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was President of our HOA in Troon Verde for several years. Houses could not be painted the same color within three houses of each other. All houses had to pass a color approval and an LSV Light Saturation Value etc, both by the HOA and North Scottsdale! Basically you could have any color of dirt brown,khaki you wanted, however roof tiles had to coordinate! We also lived in an ESL area Evironmentally Sensitive Lighting. No street lights, no light of any type pointing upward, all lighting had to be down lighting and approved, to preserve the desert view, no sidewalks allowed. Minimum footprint. etc? It goes on and on.
I’m glad to hear about neighborhoods like this. Honestly. There are so many neighborhoods where they don’t care about light pollution at night.

Yes, it sounds weird, but think about it, 25 or 30 years ago, when you went out at night you could see the Milky Way and so many stars. Now? Almost nothing.

You have to go to extremes in order to get a good view of the stars at night. Places like way out in West Texas. Or The middle of Nevada, but then you can take your chances with UFO’s.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I was President of our HOA in Troon Verde for several years. Houses could not be painted the same color within three houses of each other. All houses had to pass a color approval and an LSV Light Saturation Value etc, both by the HOA and North Scottsdale! Basically you could have any color of dirt brown,khaki you wanted, however roof tiles had to coordinate! We also lived in an ESL area Evironmentally Sensitive Lighting. No street lights, no light of any type pointing upward, all lighting had to be down lighting and approved, to preserve the desert view, no sidewalks allowed. Minimum footprint. etc? It goes on and on.
Things like this are exactly why I would never live in an HOA. I tend to get irritable when someone tries to tell me how to care for my property. As long as it doesn't run afoul of building codes just leave me alone.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I’m glad to hear about neighborhoods like this. Honestly. There are so many neighborhoods where they don’t care about light pollution at night.

Yes, it sounds weird, but think about it, 25 or 30 years ago, when you went out at night you could see the Milky Way and so many stars. Now? Almost nothing.

You have to go to extremes in order to get a good view of the stars at night. Places like way out in West Texas. Or The middle of Nevada, but then you can take your chances with UFO’s.
It was very nice, because you could see a zillion starts at night!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Things like this are exactly why I would never live in an HOA. I tend to get irritable when someone tries to tell me how to care for my property. As long as it doesn't run afoul of building codes just leave me alone.
It is a toss up some times. Like here in SC if you live out, you can have Billy Bob with his pig farm, three rusted out cars and two old refrigerators on the front lawn next to you. it is what it is.

S.C. is also the 'remanufactured home' kingdom.... I found it amazing a few years back when I went and visited a friend in rural New Hampshire, 3 miles from the Sig Academy.... not one trailer did I see or one home like Snake Pleskin describes above.... I have to remind my dog Bo often that he is lucky he is not living chained up and sleeping under a 65 Impala.

Hey Snake... you need to come up to the Ruger Gathering the first of October at Contender's.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Honestly. There are so many neighborhoods where they don't care about light pollution at night."

Light pollution is something I sometimes think about. The worst offenders are cities & municipalities. Street lights everywhere, parking lots, & MANY places where there is very low or zero night activity that would necessitate light. And with modern technology,, motion detectors could be used to reduce the WASTED electricity in such places. Especially in places that have a serious power grid demand & suffer blackouts etc.

But it's all over the country. I've flown at night, and looking down I see a LOT of places lit up like it's Christmas & you can see the wasted electricity. Heck, even in my small town area,, there are several places that they put up street lights in places where there is no sidewalk, or ANY reason to have lights along the road.

I think they need to look at the wasted electricity in all such places & reduce the unnecessary lighting. But hey,, what do I know.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
S.C. is also the 'remanufactured home' kingdom.... I found it amazing a few years back when I went and visited a friend in rural New Hampshire, 3 miles from the Sig Academy.... not one trailer did I see or one home like Snake Pleskin describes above.... I have to remind my dog Bo often that he is lucky he is not living chained up and sleeping under a 65 Impala.

Hey Snake... you need to come up to the Ruger Gathering the first of October at Contender's.
perfect description!

Contender: yes you are correct about large cities using just too much light.

I was thinking of my parent’s HOA. They are required to have two lights turned on out in front of their house all night long.

That’s what made me think about HOA’s and wasting light. I didn’t even think about such areas as a Wal Mart, or Home Depot parking lot at night.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
"Honestly. There are so many neighborhoods where they don't care about light pollution at night."

Light pollution is something I sometimes think about. The worst offenders are cities & municipalities. Street lights everywhere, parking lots, & MANY places where there is very low or zero night activity that would necessitate light. And with modern technology,, motion detectors could be used to reduce the WASTED electricity in such places. Especially in places that have a serious power grid demand & suffer blackouts etc.

But it's all over the country. I've flown at night, and looking down I see a LOT of places lit up like it's Christmas & you can see the wasted electricity. Heck, even in my small town area,, there are several places that they put up street lights in places where there is no sidewalk, or ANY reason to have lights along the road.

I think they need to look at the wasted electricity in all such places & reduce the unnecessary lighting. But hey,, what do I know.
It is about aesthetics, not wasting pwr. IMHO. This in a land where everyone has a pool in the desert! Go figure? You'd think they would worry about water usage. Nope! I had (37) down lights in my yard & around the pool etc. and it was quite nice. Enough light to walk and not hurt yourself yet produced practically zero light pollution. it really does make a difference. All the commercial areas put in lighting as a deterrent to crime and to reduce their liability should something happen in their parking lot etc.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
In my town just about every street with a house on it or any major roadway has street lights. Us old folks don't have good eyes. Never thought about light pollution except at the beach.

ronto

Buckeye
When I was a kid we shared the entrance to our garages with a common driveway shaped like a "Y". When it snowed the neighbor would wait until we shoveled the common entrance before they came out to shovel their garage entrance. That went on for years. One time my Dad performed an experiment and waited until late afternoon and they still didn.t come out. My Dad just let it go and said it wasn't worth complaining about their inconsiderate behavior.

tazbigdog

Single-Sixer
I’ve lived in HOAs and non-HOAs. I don’t care who parks in front of my house, just don’t block my driveway. Most people are pretty respectful and then there aren’t issues. But when there are, I usually will go out and talk to them with my Rottweiler at my side. Then they get very respectful. 🤪

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
"HOA'S" We bought a house in a development in Orlando (Dr Phillips area); The first thing that happened was a Basketball goal
above the garage door; WOW talk about "hoa upset" BUT it was NOT prohibited in the rule book; that SOON changed, BUT our Goal was "GRANDFATHERED" in and it is still up on the house my former spouse still owns all these years later. Got them all upset one time by planting strawberries and tomatoes in the front flower garden. Some old lady use to cruise around the neighborhood in her CADILLAC looking for violations.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Nobody wants their wife walking across a dark parking lot."

I agree,, but lights can be shut off well after everybody is gone. And places where there isn't any walking to cars, or along sidewalks etc. I see a LOT of places where lights are not necessary.

Cholo

Staff member
↑ They then become meeting places for drugs and prostitution. Lights are kept on for a reason. I keep a 100 watt LED daylight bulb lit on my front porch to light my flag and to keep riff raff away.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I don’t know why folks call light a pollutant. Pollutants have a long and deleterious effect on the environment. Light will be gone a couple of milliseconds after they are turned off.

If you want dark skies move to some third world country and enjoy the dark. Oh also you can enjoy pollution at its finest.