PRVI PARTIZAN 38 spc 158 gr LRN - BAD !!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wrightd

Bearcat
I bought some Prvi Partizan 38 spc. 158 gr LRN and shot it in my "new" Colt Python the other day, and the crap keyholed and tumbled all over the targets. I took it back to the gun store for a refund. I checked the gun by shooting other major brand ammo, no problem. I normally don't shoot crap, but I was looking for a less expensive alternative for practice in this caliber.

I was so disgusted with this ammo, I didn't bother trying to fire it thru my M27 or GP100 to make sure it wasn't the Python, but I can't imagine it was a problem with the Python, as it fired the american stuff just fine.

Have you guys experienced anything like this, and do you know what causes this problem ???

Any education or advice appreciated.

TBxd

Bearcat
I bought 2 boxes of the same stuff from Midway because it was cheap. Also I have purchased 9mm auto Prvi Partizan that was wholly satisfactory, but the .38 LRN was the dirtiest ammo that I've ever fired through any of my guns. I had no problem with keyholing, but the black almost oily looking residue left behind was atrocious. Sorry you had the same trouble with this ammo. What surprised me was the other ammo from this company was really quite good.

wrightd

Bearcat
yea, i noticed a billow of black smoke with each shot. and yes, it left a black residue all over the outside of the cylinder and the top half of the frame. messy for sure.

dg101win

Single-Sixer
I have used it in my 50th Anniversary 357 and my S&W Mdl 14. It wasn't any dirtier than my loads of Unique with cast bullets. Also I could get some 1 1/2 inch groups with it @25 yds off the bench. I like it and a friend wants to buy some of it from me.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I have used this brand in a .222 and it was real good in that rifle. It goes to show that there are good and bad in several brands of ammo. Alot of people despise Remington Core Lokt for hunting, but I have a relative who has killed alot of huge bucks with it in a 30-30 and it has been flawless. I prefer to load my own, but based on the performance of the .222 I was thinking it is a good way to get some brass for a specific caliber since the PRVI is cheap, and as an added bonus it shot great. Based on your experience and the fact that my Colt Python usually shoots great I will probably find other sources of brass so thanks for sharing your issues.

DGW1949

Hunter
From the FWIW Dept.....

I've got some of their brass-cased .38 Spl JHP and 357 JHP ammo that came with a gun I bought recently.
I haven't fired any of it myself but did do a google search on the stuff. From all the reports I could find, seems that most folks find it to be OK ammo, but a bit dirty. "Dirty" always means different things to different people, so I never know quite what to make of that.
My main concern was that being's how it comes from a Com Bloc Country was....is it corrosive?...which it is not.

I found it interesting that the rifle calibers got much better reviews than the pistol/revolver calibers.....except from the S&W Forum. The one thread which was linked off of my Google search indicated that all of the S&W posters had perty-good luck with it.
On the other hand, I did see one report (on another Forum) in which a poster said that a batch he had varied in rim thichness, and as a result, he had a couple of rounds (out of 2 different boxes) that tied his gun up.....Makes one wonder how he got the loaded cylinder to close in the first place.

At any rate, that's all I know about that.
Maybe it helps, maybe it don't.

DGW

Rosie65

Bearcat
Key holing is usually caused by soft lead. I learned this the hard way. Bullet will zip down the barrel leaving lead in the grooves and not spin. Very hot loads will do this also. When this happens a person should get the lead out :) before shooting again.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
wrightd":3itx757g said:
I bought some Prvi Partizan 38 spc. 158 gr LRN and shot it in my "new" Colt Python...

I shot some of that at my range the other day because that was all they had in 38 special. It was BAD, leaded-up the barrels and was not accurate.

Normally I use MagTech or Federal FMJ as 38 special practice ammo with good results.

...Jimbo

Latest posts