PROVEN 45 ACP TARGET LOAD ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hi guys,

Anybody have a 'proven mega-accurate' target load for 200 grain LSWC's ?

Not looking for data quoted from manuals ... I have manuals.

I'm looking for proven, accurate load data for any powder OTHER THAN W231, which is what I've been using for 20 years, and which just does not seem to be available for the last few months (damn).

I'm almost out of rounds and need to reload, and only have about 3/4 of a pound of 231 left.

Any loads that you 1911 guys 'swear by' rather than 'at' ?? :D

Thanks

REV

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I don't have specific load data (can't find my notes right now) but Hodgdon HS-6 and Win AutoComp have both worked very well for me with 200gr RN plated bullets. I'll try and get to my notes if you need me too, my reloading room has been transformed into temporary storage since the wife moved her business back to the house.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks SA ! WHenever you get the chance ... no rush. I just found out HP-38 is the same as 231, but that's out of stock everywhere too. I'm looking at Power Pistol as well ... it works tremendously in 9MM, and some research shows it working well in the 45.

REV

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Well, luckily it wasn't buried too badly. Here you go, all loads are for 230gr copper plated round nose:

HS6 - 8.5gr (WARNING: Exceeds published maximums) Even at 8.2gr, it had trouble cycling the slide on my new P345.

AutoComp - 6.6gr (right at published max)

I switched from HS6 to W231 for my 45acp loading about 2 years ago, and bought the last 3 pounds of it that Cabelas had at that time. I haven't found it again since. I've been working on fully testing the AutoComp loads as a replacement, as I bought an 8 lb jug a few months ago because it was actually in stock. It's one of the few powders that seems to stay in stock at Powder Valley.

HS6 has been relegated to my 45colt loads, where it is great. Apparently AutoComp will work pretty well in 45colt as well if I need it. HS6 is usually in stock at my LGS, which has a pretty limited selection.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Hey REV,

A while back I was out of 231 (and am about to be soon again). I loaded up some with 10-10.5 gr of Blue Dot and really liked it. Originally tried it for loads for me niece to use in a Blackhawk convertible but wound up getting some good results in my old Colt also. My niece is pretty comfortable with the full power .45 Colt loads now, so I haven't loaded those up in a while.

The best results were real close to max, I think from the Lyman manual (don't have the manual at home). I tried backing off a bit, but had some problems cycling in the auto.

ChuckS1

Bearcat
For the M1911A1, it's Bullseye and a charge of 3.6 - 3.9 grains. The 3.6 grain load, in all three of my M1911's that I use for bullseye pistol competition, shoot a 1" hole at 25 yards. The 3.6 grain load is a light one, so if you have a 16 lb spring, it may or may not cycle your slide. It will cycle the slide on my pistol with a slide mounted Ultra Dot. BTW, I use a 12 lb spring in my pistols.

You can bump it up to 4.2 grains if you want, but the groups open up and it's more recoil than I want, especially for timed and rapid fire.

Take a look at this site for some more ideas
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/reloads.htm

And this site has a lot of target loads
http://www.pelhamfishandgame.com/reload ... tloads.htm

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks guys, I'll check 'em out.

The Bullseye seems to be almost a universal recommendation from what I've read so far.

REV

mattsbox99

Hunter
4.0 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain SWC or 5.0 grains of Red Dot and a 230 grain FMJ work tremedously well for my Para 1911. 5.0 grains of Titegroup works well too.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Ditto Bullseye / 200g LSWC.

Other superior choices include AA5, Nitro 100 (this powder also seems to offer the least felt recoil of ANY in the 45 ACP), 700X, and a never-ending list of others'.........

I use mostly W231 for lighter 'accuracy' 200g loads.

revhigh

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2":2nuq2b10 said:
I use mostly W231 for lighter 'accuracy' 200g loads.

Sure wish I could find a few 8 pounders of 231 ... it's scarcer than hen's teeth and even HP-38 is out of stock everywhere.

This stinks ... my pet load for 20+ years has used 231.

REV

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
Rev, although I've never tried it, my neighbor up the street swears by Green Dot with the 200 gr LSWC. He's been using it for years :)

Snake45

Hawkeye
Keep looking for 231 or HP38. I bought a can of 231 at a gun show last year and wasn't aware it was in short supply. 231 is GREAT stuff in .45ACP!

dougader

Hunter
If you want to stick with W231 then look for it. Powder Valley usually has 8# kegs in stock...

I have been using 231 now for about 25 years, and I like it. I am still going through my last keg of it.

But several guys I know have switched from 231 to Winchester WST. They claim its just as good for accuracy and burns a lot cleaner. Its not as dense, either, so it fills the case a little better than 231.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
I use Berry's 200 grain HP (that have a 1.20 OAL...more powder room) with 0.6cc of bullseye...that is about 4.7 grains.

It lists as over max in older manuals, but well within reason of the more modern ones...Here and Heremaybe bullseye has gotten a little milder over the years.

It spits at 800-850fps and shoots really well in my guns S&W and Colt.

I agree and have found bullseye an excellent 45acp powder...great for 38 special also.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie":3jyx6kwj said:
I use Berry's 200 grain HP (that have a 1.20 OAL...more powder room) with 0.6cc of bullseye...that is about 4.7 grains.

It lists as over max in older manuals, but well within reason of the more modern ones...Here and Heremaybe bullseye has gotten a little milder over the years.

It spits at 800-850fps and shoots really well in my guns S&W and Colt.

I agree and have found bullseye an excellent 45acp powder...great for 38 special also.

4.7 gr. Bullseye in a 200 gr. bullet does not seem to be too hot. I believe the original John Browning loading for 45 acp was 230 gr. fmjrn over 5.1 Bullseye powder.........but then again, that's here say!

revhigh

Hawkeye
Success !!! I just managed to score 4 pounds of HP38, (same as W231), but I'm going to try Bullseye as well ... this W231/HP38 shortage situation ticks me off. I'm OK now for another 5K rounds or so ... that should just about exhaust my bullet supply, and should get me through the summer at least.

Thanks to all .... I've recorded a bunch of these recipes !

REV

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rev, sounds like you could profitably invest in a Ciener or other .22 conversion for your 1911. I put 5000 troublefree-rounds of cheap Walmart bulk ammo (cost less than centerfire PRIMERS!) through one of my Ciener units last year alone, and 3000 through two others. All the fun but the recoil, nearly none of the expense! :wink: