Proper Size Holster - older .41 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhillas

Bearcat
Looking for some advice on finding the right holster for this old revolver.

By old I mean ~ mid to late 1960s

.41 Mag single shot Blackhawk, 4-5/8 inch barrel

I have seen lots of options for 6-7 1/2 inch barrels, and have found holsters that are sized right lengthwise, but too small to fit a larger frame revolver.

I am looking for something with a closed end and snap loop.

Any lead on a dealer that might carry one or a specific brand and model that I can research would be great. By trying myself, I now have three that I know DO NOT work....

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum.

For a closed end holster, you can look at El Paso Saddlery. The Threepersons design would fit your needs, and can be made for any length revolver. I have one for a 5 1/2" and it is top notch.

The Bianchi #1 can be had to fit your gun too, but it is open ended.

There are many others, and your gun is not a hard one to fit as there are a LOT of those guns out there.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, I've purchased Hunter brand holsters for cheap at pawn shops and gun shows. The 7-1/2" size seem to be the cheapest.

I simply cut them to length and then stitch them back together.

Ah, but one time I found a very high quality Freedom Arms holster RH Cross Draw for their large framed 4-3/4" revolver. Gee, the 4-5/8" Ruger fits good enough.... especially when the holster cost $22.00 !

flatgate

PS You stated .41 mag. single shot but I bet you meant single action, eh? The Ruger .41 mags are all made on the same sized cylinder frame as the Super Blackhawk and the holsters should be quite common.

PPS I bet there are at least 20 people making the holster you seek...
Try Google!

jhillas

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome and thanks everyone for the replies.

I have tried googling and whatnot, but to be honest, I have recently acquired three holsters that seemed they would fit, but didn't :)

I actually have one that fits but is too long, I thought about cutting it down but am worried I'd just ruin it. I want closed end and am not too handy with stitching.

Thanks for the tip on El Paso Saddlery/Threepersons, I'll check them out.

and yes, single action, whoops!

Hugh

Buckeye
If you're concerned about ruining the holster by cutting it down yourself, I bet your local shoe repair shop will do it for a very low price.