Project M77 mkII - walnut and stainless

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C6S1C

Bearcat
This project gun started out it's life a M77 MkII Syn/SS with a boat paddle stock. I purchased it many years ago at a Wal-mart that was getting rid of their guns. I paid $230.00 for it on clearance. I never warmed up to the boat paddle stock and it just hung around for years in the factory box. I thought about selling it many times, but never did. I saw a post awhile back where someone had pulled the sys stock and replaced it with a wood version. I said to myself....very cool. So I was able to track down a 99% new wood stock ( actually I stumbled across one at a local gun shop for 50 bucks ). I then mounted a new Leupold VX-3 3.5 to 10 by 40mm in matte black. I thought it came out nice.....now I am keeping this American Beauty.

C6S1C

Here are some pics.....

P1010959.jpg

P1010960.jpg

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Was it this rifle C6S1C?

100_0540.jpg

Now you have to get a stainless grip cap and pair of sling studs and you will have pretty much nailed it! :lol:

I really like mine too. The sum is more than the parts.

Jay

C6S1C

Bearcat
Jay,

Yes, it was that picture that started my project.....too funny. See, sharing photos can be inspiration for others. Hopefully, mine might do the same.

Were do I get the SS cap and studs from???

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I ordered my grip cap and the little medalion from Ruger.

100_0541.jpg

These came on the stainless red label shotguns. They have to be fitted as they come bigger than what is on the stock originally. I do think they finish off the rifle nicely.

The sling swivel studs come from Michaels. The front one has a nut and the back one has a wood screw type thread.

The walnut stocks sure do make the stainless rifles ook nice don't they? My stock was made for one of the lightweight models. Was this what you ended up with too?

Jay

C6S1C

Bearcat
Thanks for the info, Jay. Pretty awesome. I will contact Ruger for the grip cap and emblem. I had to buoble check but my barrel contour was for a standard stock so I had to go with that one\style.....plus I stumbled across what I needed for 50 bucks.

That pic of the grip cap is awesome. I will PM you as I get going with the end cap and emblem....for any advise ( do's and don't ).

Jay, nice looking rigging....I am still laughing at the grip cap....never noticed it in your first pic ( awhile back ).

Scott

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Nice job! As much as I like the "blued steel and walnut" tradition, I have to admit that many of my guns are stainless, and I like it that way.

-- Sam

kentdep

Single-Sixer
Below you can see the original picture that I posted here about 5 years ago. It was taken before the grip cap was changed. I think that it is a touch that is of course not necessary but it adds alot to the rifle.

A friend of mine that works full time as a gunsmith says when it comes to making or customizing a firearm, it is the small touches that add a lot to the overall product. I think that is a very true statement.

100_1055.jpg

Installing the cap isn't too hard if you are good with a file and buffing tools. I just took the original one off and screwed the new one on, then filed, sanded and polished until I had it right. I would put it back on the grip, see where the material needed to be removed then took it back off and filed away until it was perfect. Just take your time and check your work often.

Another item that adds to the rifle is the jeweled bolt.

100_1253-copy.jpg

If you need any further help just PM me.

Jay

C6S1C

Bearcat
Jay, You are right....it was about 5 years ago when I saw the original post. The grip cap abd jeweled bolt does add to the overall look of the customized Ruger. Were did you have the bolt jeweled??? DIY job?? I will try to contact Ruger about getting a grip cap and emblem. Great advise on taking my time....not real hady with a file but I might give it a try.

Nice looking rigs !!! Thanks for the inspiration to turn my old NIB boat paddle M77 into something I want to use.

Scott

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I did exactly the same thing. Traded off my paddle and put a super straight grained light factory walnut stock on it. Picked mine up at a gunshop for $35 and traded in the paddle stock!