Project gun: 1986 Mark II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
Not sure if you guys would be interested in a project I just completed 2 nights ago.

A couple of weeks ago I did the unspeakable act of buying something I knew I shouldn't!
An Auction place on the net had a Mark II target pistol & nobody was bidding on it....it was darn ugly! I guess someone tried to take off all the blue on a blued gun, probably thinking it would look like SS.

Why I placed a bid I do not know but it became mine!!!. "Too Much" For such an ulgy duck!

Well first off, Yes it was ugly but on my way home from from my FFL agent getting it transfered to me, I took it to the range & put about 36 shots off hand into a 4 " bull at 25yds,,,,, I don't think I ever did that before.

Well It became my project gun:
I decide that since my funds for this project would be limited ( read none) . There would be no sending it out for a blue job so since I have the knowledge in the old arts of gunbuilding( 18th C style), I went ahead and did a "rust blue" on it. Yes it was a lot more work but it was all my own time.
It came out pretty good but the barrel is obviously a different type steel then the receiver. The rusting took place at different levels and show a slightly different blue color.

Before Blueing the barrel, I spent a lot of time de-leading the bore ( don't think it was ever cleaned) & it was shot a lot! I noticed the muzzle had a dent in the crown and also a gouge inside the bore at that point.
Almost like someone put a screw in it at some point in time. The darn gun shot great when I got it but that gouge really bugged me. So I took it across the street to my good friend who is a machinist. I asked him to face off the barrel to a recessed target muzzle. The recess being deep enough to get rid of the gouge in the rifling Then put a 60 deg crown on the inside face of the rifling.

Unfortunately I had to order 2- $2.00 parts from Ruger ( Safety Detent Spring & Ball) which ended up costing me $15 with shipping & I ordered 3 Blast shields from Bruce Patza ( one for each of my Ruger Marks) Great price at 3 for $10!
& I rebuilt the rear sight that was really a mess but I was able to salvage all the parts.
I just touched up blued the frame since it only had a few scratches.

Put in my last custom ATM trigger ($3.25) From Numrich and got it all working 2 nights ago. It is at about 43 oz trigger pull.
Now just to re-sight it in and see how it now shoots. I removed every little piece from this gun & got it all back & working ( I'm pretty happy about that). I ran a few CB longs thru it tonight in my yard to see where the reset sigts ended up and they aren't very far off at 15 yds. At least I won't be too surprised the next trip to the range.
Anyway here are some before & after photos: Hope you will see a difference
LeftSideBefore.jpg

LeftSideAfter.jpg

RightSideBefore.jpg

RightSideAfter.jpg

MuzzleBefore.jpg

MuzzleAfter.jpg

Xsales

Buckeye
Nice looking work

Should be a great shooter and be proud of putting her back into a place of honor

Tallbald

Buckeye
That's a wonderful example of rescue if I ever saw one. I'd be proud to display her. I rescue my own Rugers and know exactly how much thought and work go into returning an abused gun into a showpiece. You did a beautiful job on the crown too. Don

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone......I still haven't had it out to the range yet ( always seems that there is too much to do this time of year around the house to get ready for the winter.) Hopefully I will get out this week. I will let you know how she does.
To answer cellar701 No I didn't rust blue the front sight. I used oxpho blue on it few times followed by BC's super blue. I noted after that it had some fine rust build up after it sat for 24 hrs & I said what the heck and threw it into the boiling water bath! I 0000 steel wooled it back and then oiled it up. Why? I have no idea no real theory to the practice.

For the receiver/barrel & bolt I used laural mountain forge's barrel brown ( 5 treatments with water boils & cardings between)

The rear sight was repaired & reshaped and I used BC alum black to get the Aluminum parts back to normal

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
I finally got a chance to get to the range this morning. I guess I didn't ruin it!
Sure did shoot smooth. I only had a short amount of time so I only wanted to be sure it was shooting well so at 25yds I just rough benchrested it. Amazingly after having the sights off & in pieces then putting it all back together......rough adjusted the sights using "the Force" or more like "I think that looks centered on the barrel" the first target was pretty much on center but high by about 1.5 inches. I adjusted elevation by "ruger clicks" and dropped it about 1.5 inch low for the second target.
Guessing at some more clicks in elevation I shot these last two targets and then was happy enough to head in to work.

MKII-tagets-PostRebuild.jpg

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
I Always read not to show the serial number in a photo on the internet.
So yes, the number is blocked out for the photos.
Now can someone tell me why it isn't good to show the SN?

not a problem, and in this case, nothing "wrong" with blotting out the serial number.....just the way it looked, appeared to be actually that way on the gun, and a firearms serial number cannot be "altered, defaced, or removed....." don't like to see anyone get in any trouble with the federales.
In fact one came in the show over the weekend, old Colt ,with the serial number "ground off"...told the young man best to put it away, , strip the parts out of it, scrap the frame, OR turn it over to the ATFE..........
( if one was paranoid, they'd think it was a 'set up', "entrapment"...) 8)

Anyway, back to the question, your gun came out looking just fine, we like it, good job............ :wink:

Xsales

Buckeye
Now can someone tell me why it isn't good to show the SN?[/quote]

People don't show the full SN for security and privacy reasons

Kind of like NOT putting your Social Security number on the net, it really isn't anyones business

Latest posts