Progressive questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Ka6otm said:
Okay, why is that since it doesn't change? It's because they didn't read the manual carefully when setting up the press and they have one or more dies on several turret heads that are out of adjustment. Since the press primes on the downstroke, setting the dies properly is crucial.

Then, when they had this problem, they didn't read the manual troubleshooting section where it says that if you have a primer seating problem, check your dies.

Hi,

I have and use a fair amount of Lee equipment. And, yes, there's green stuff here, too... along with bits and pieces from other mfrs. Just like everyone else on any reloading forum, I hear all kinds of complaints about Lee equipment. However, after 50+ years of "rolling my own" I've learned to live with the fact NOBODY is perfect.

Personal opinion: Lee HAS a problem, and Ka6otm hit it right on the head: you HAVE to RTFM with their stuff to make it work the way they intended. Surprise! Some of their adjustments are NOT the same as the green or blue guys' or anybody else's. Some of their instructions deal with an "all Lee" team of equipment (geeze, another surprise!), and then they will describe the different steps to use when using a "mixed team." Follow them and things seem to work out fine, for me at least!

As to the complainers, well, some people just like to complain. Maybe they're mechanically challenged, like a buddy for whom a single state RCBS Rock Chucker is a highly sophisticated piece of equipment yet difficult challenge to use. Maybe they're ok mechanically but simply didn't RTFM. Maybe they're the kind who don't think for themselves, but parrot everything their buddy--don't we all have one of these in our lives, the guy who's actually a certifiable moron but hasn't yet been signed off on?--tells them. Then there's always the guy who can screw up an anvil with a rubber mallet, too. So any conversation that starts with "Lee is cr(ud)" probably isn't worth listening to in my book, and a lot of the others sort themselves out fairly quickly as to what the writer's biases are.

In the end, I can't think of any mfr of reloading equipment who makes "bad" stuff these days. But at the same time, each of them makes equipment based on THEIR idea of what works best--with no two agreeing completely--and if it matches ours, great. If not, we get to try something else! "One's man's trash is another man's treasure" rings in the back of my head. Ford or Chevy? Ginger or Mary Ann? Either of those ongoing arguments fits perfectly into our hobby. ;)

Rick C

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
"One's man's trash is another man's treasure" rings in the back of my head. Ford or Chevy? Ginger or Mary Ann? Either of those ongoing arguments fits perfectly into our hobby. ;)

Rick C

The only flaw in your argument is everyone agrees that Mary Ann was the best. :lol:

While I use numerous LEE products, I simply don't have any faith in the LEE primer feed systems I've used. I'm fairly mechanical and usually have a decent level of patience but either I'm unlucky or my skills and patience levels are inadequate to deal with the LEE priming set-ups.
I have no experience with Hornady so no advice there.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
From what I can see, nobody has a really good priming system.

I'm not wild about the primer tube system that Hornady and others use. Between what looks like a tedious job of loading the primers into the tubes, and the fact that you have bunch of small explosive devices stacked on each other inside a small barrel, doesn't look ideal to me. I do prefer priming on the upstroke, rather than when the cases are in the dies. My turret works like this, and it gives a good feel for issues with primers or primer pockets. I don't worry about sorting out small primer .45s on my current press. I can tell immediately that there is a problem. I've never so much as ruined a primer, much less set one off.

The Lee system has the advantage of easy loading of primers and a minimum of primers stacked on each other in a more open design. The fact that it is made mostly of plastic doesn't inspire confidence in longevity. I suppose they are cheap enough to be able to replace after some years of use.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
I'm also going to disagree with those who think the LoadMaster has a bad priming system. It takes around 30 seconds to load the tray with primers and put it back on the machine, and it works extremely well there.

I get perhaps 1 sideways primer every 2 or 3 months (and I reload weekly) and I've never quite figured out how a primer got that way, but I don't consider that a problem. As long as you look at the primers in the trap before you put it back in the machine, you'll never get one upside down either.

I can't comment on the 1000 as I've never used one.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
The only flaw in your argument is everyone agrees that Mary Ann was the best. :lol:

Hi,

Actually not, as I choose Mary Ann, too. But there's a problem DEFINING Mary Ann: some think she's red, others thinks she's green and there are plenty who are certain she's blue! ;)

Rick C

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I suspect the professor would be the only one on the island who would have been reloading. Given his success at making something simple, like glue, I don't think I would have wanted to try shooting any of his reloads made with homemade powder and primers.

Might have been an interesting episode.

TULLYMARS

Single-Sixer
Years ago I read an article by John Taffin about the RCBS Pro 2000 that he uses. I bought one and have zero complaints.I have no experience with other tools but I do use a variety of dies from other manufacturers with no issues. Unless you are loading thousands of rounds monthly for competition you may be better served with a good turret press. Good luck in your search.