Production of Vaquero and Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snake Pleskin

Banned
That might be true for people just entering the market. I have a few pocket pistols, and while I'm thinking about a 9mm carry piece, and have many 1911's, I am blown away by the quality of the Vaquero's and New Vaquero's.

These little cheap semi-auto's--do they hold up?

I have no doubts about my 1911's, and the SS Vaquero's are freaking inspiring!

I bought two 5.5" and then one more 7.5", and am considering a 3.5" birdshead 45 ACP and would like a 4.6" for spinning.

I am a huge Colt fan, growing up here in Connecticut, where I was taking apart my dad's pistols at the age of 7 or 8. I would love a SAA Colt, but it would be a closet queen. These SS Vaquero's can take a beating, SS won't rust, they can be polished up to look like new, and are freaking inspiring. What cheap semi auto can do that? Which gun will still be around 50 years from now? 500 years from now?

These Vaquero's make me want to carry one like Doc Holiday, or maybe two. Handle one and you fall in love with them.

Perhaps CAS is dying, but the love of SAA type guns is not going away. They are hard to find and sell very fast. I expect that shooters, as they learn more, will migrate to single actions as time goes on.
The problem with most SA's is weight, size, capacity.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I just walked away from a birds head Vaquero with the tag marked .45 Auto/ACP at a local LGS... just not interested for what is being asked on the price.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I believe Ruger filled a niche with the Wrangler, because they wee losing sales. I own one and it shoots as well as my Single Six & Super Single six at 1/3 the cost! People are starting to not want to pay $500-600 dollars for a .22lr pistol.

The Wrangler was a direct response to the Rough Rider .

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
The so called "cheap" plastic 9mm's aren't! Glocks used by many nations around the world, and more Agency's and Police here in the USA will be shooting long after your 1911 has died. Glocks have been put through extreme testing that no one would dare try on a 1911!

The 1911 won't die. I've put over 100,000 rounds through mine. I anticipate that it will last the rest of my life and accumulate many more thousands. I've never heard about someone putting that many through a Glock.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
The 1911 won't die. I've put over 100,000 rounds through mine. I anticipate that it will last the rest of my life and accumulate many more thousands. I've never heard about someone putting that many through a Glock.
you can go on line and google Glock tests etc. It is truly amazing what they have been through. also,https://www.eaglegunrangetx.com/review-glock-19-gen-4-after-80000-rounds/, and the Glock factory says they have two with over a million rounds through each one. again, in his article on pages 20-29 of the October 2008 issue of GUNWORLD, Taylor states twice within that article (on pages 22 and 23) that he has 270,000 rounds through his Glock 17 at the time of that writing. https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2017/09/glock-17-pistol-torture-test/
nothing beats a glock, it is what it is

Last edited:
For those that want to shoot a 45ACP in your single cylinder Ruger. You might check to see if Starline still makes these "Cowboy 45 Spl". I use them for SASS with Black Powder. A full case of 45 Colt with 3F and a 200 grainer is a pretty stout load. The rimmed 45 Spl is great.

1657213100583.png

1657213182882.png

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
For those that want to shoot a 45ACP in your single cylinder Ruger. You might check to see if Starline still makes these "Cowboy 45 Spl". I use them for SASS with Black Powder. A full case of 45 Colt with 3F and a 200 grainer is a pretty stout load. The rimmed 45 Spl is great.

View attachment 3871
View attachment 3872
They do. And they're great, especially loading SWC bullets for a Blackhawk ACP cylinder

NightSailor

Bearcat
Have you seen the Gen 7 Glock? It has two safeties!

By Gen 8 they should have it perfected, bobbed hammer, beavertail, angled slide serations, better sights.

Attachments

• colt-1911-us-navy-45-acp-c16306-889426730.jpg
    colt-1911-us-navy-45-acp-c16306-889426730.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 69

NightSailor

Bearcat

View attachment 3871
View attachment 3872
Arline is making the brass still. On back order. It is easier to buy the cowboy specials all loaded up, shoot it and then reload. Gunbroker has the CB specials. I'm thinking about using it for Black Powder loads.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Curious thing about the .44 Special Vaquero is that Ruger rollmarked those guns simply as Vaquero even though they are on the smaller New Vaquero frame.
It's all very logical: the .44 Spl is stamped only Vaquero instead of New Vaquero because there was no previous .44 Spl Original Vaquero for the .44 Spl to be a 'new' version of like all the other caliber Vaqueros. The .44 Spl Vaquero is the first version made in that cartridge.

NightSailor

Bearcat
Glad you are enjoying your single actions.

As far as compact 9mm. A friend just bought a Springfield Armory Hellcat. It's amazingly small. 11+1 capacity. Shoots very well.

Welcome to the forum @connecticutcaptain@gmail.
We are limited to 10 round mags here behind enemy lines in Connecticut. Hopefully the recent Supreme Court decisions will trickly down here and nullify that.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
People who use a 1911 style will tell you that 10 is more than enough.
When I carried a 1911 I carried 7+1 and an extra 7 round mag.. when I carry my M&P .45 I carry a 10 +1 and an extra 10 round mag. With my GP100 MC I carry two extra speed strips.

Latest posts